GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Anyone in socal have Time Warner Cable Road Runner Internet?

dpham00

Modérateur Emeritus
Just curious if anyone here in socal has TWC RR? If so, what speeds are you getting (down and up)?

GTi R Enigma

Profitier...
Car(s)
CW 07 GTi 5dr HB
Time warner is ok, speeds are what you pay for. Depends on population density and how many people are using. For the most part not bad, just a lot of cut outs from time to time.

PRND[S]

The Lame & The Ludicrous
Car(s)
'15 LSG Golf R
I have friends in Marina Del Rey who have Roadrunner, their speeds are similar to what sfvalleygti is getting. It's been largely trouble-free, I do all the tech stuff for my friends so I get the calls when something isn't working.

My FiOS results:

Today's results -- no lag is nice for gaming:

Last edited:

PRND[S]

The Lame & The Ludicrous
Car(s)
'15 LSG Golf R
Cable is engineered for asymetrical use, most of the available bandwidth is allocated to downloads since that is what most people do 95% of the time -- you send a tiny request for a web page or file, and then you receive an amount of data that is often hundreds or thousands times larger. It's not that cable can't be faster, the providers simply had to look at how typical users use their service and come up with the best allocation to satisfy that.

I have friends who have Charter in Malibu and their speeds are about 20/10. There is a speed boost on the first part of a download so unless you download something very large you get the file very quickly, but the boost is turned off after a few seconds, so they average about 20Mbps down. Up at about 10Mbps is actually quite good.

melancholygypsy

Bring out the Gimp
Car(s)
2008 GTI
Cable is engineered for asymetrical use, most of the available bandwidth is allocated to downloads since that is what most people do 95% of the time -- you send a tiny request for a web page or file, and then you receive an amount of data that is often hundreds or thousands times larger. It's not that cable can't be faster, the providers simply had to look at how typical users use their service and come up with the best allocation to satisfy that.

I have friends who have Charter in Malibu and their speeds are about 20/10. There is a speed boost on the first part of a download so unless you download something very large you get the file very quickly, but the boost is turned off after a few seconds, so they average about 20Mbps down. Up at about 10Mbps is actually quite good.

This, The only reason I wish my upload was better with TWC is for torrenting :wink:

dpham00

Modérateur Emeritus
FYI, I'd get fios, but it's not available in my area. :(

right now, i'm paying $26.99(was paying up to $41.99) for Verizon DSL 1m down/384k up.

With TWC RR, i'd be paying less overall, and speeds are way faster than what I have now, though, obviously nowhere as good as FIOS.

My only concern is their reliability, I don't want service that goes out often, and also, I don't want someone with crappy customer service like Verizon, though, it'd be hard to get much worse...

PRND[S]

The Lame & The Ludicrous
Car(s)
'15 LSG Golf R
My friends in Marina Del Rey switched from Verizon DSL to RR, and as I wrote previously it has been very reliable and customer service has been a non-issue. Speeds are obviously much better than their old DSL. The only real complaint I have about their service is that their HD channels are highly compressed.

dpham00

Modérateur Emeritus
My friends in Marina Del Rey switched from Verizon DSL to RR, and as I wrote previously it has been very reliable and customer service has been a non-issue. Speeds are obviously much better than their old DSL. The only real complaint I have about their service is that their HD channels are highly compressed.

thanks, i don't plan on subscribing to cable tv, so that's a moot point for me, but thanks for sharing. :thumbsup: