GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Another one bites the dust...

big_nebrowski

Ready to race!
Had a check engine light come on yesterday so I took my car to the dealer (still under warranty). Turns out the cam follower failed and damaged the cam shaft. Low and behold I am without my GTI until next Tuesday since the dealer doesn't have parts in stock. My car has about 40k miles, completely stock.

So I just wanted to say, listen to everyone on this forum and check your cam follower often! I've learned my lesson the hard way :frown:

Zach L

VR junkie
How many miles are you at & whats your driving style?

My car has about 40k miles, completely stock.

I drive a stock GTI. Replaced the first follower at 45k miles and the second follower at 88k miles. I've been using Lubro-Moly 5w40 oil. Just make sure to check them frequently and use at minimum a European-made oil. Ester-based oils will be even better.

big_nebrowski

Ready to race!
warranty doesnt = the hard way

Too true. It's only covered because my car was certified pre-owned, so my warranty is good til 80k.

I'm pretty sure this car has had its oil changed at the dealer its whole life, i think they use castrol syntec? I've got to start doing my own oil changes so I can get the good stuff.

SpoonGTi

NOM NOM NOM...
Car(s)
what else...
I didn't replace my cam follwer until around 55k and it was still in pretty good condition even the DLC coating was still there. I do highway miles 80 percent of the time and I was stock when I first changed it out. Oh yeah I've been using the castrol 5-40 since the day I bought my car. Guess its subjective to driving habits.

DejaVu

Ready to race!
this is nice to know. I can't decide whether to keep my GTI at the end of the lease in May or just turn it in. I love the car and haven't had any problems yet, but I know as soon as I buy it from VW something would go wrong. I would have 1 year left on warranty if I buy it. how much money would it cost for me to have vw check the cam follower every 40k or so and replace it if needed?

big_nebrowski

Ready to race!
Guess its subjective to driving habits.

I don't flog my car. I drive pretty sane 95% of the time (read: like an old lady). My current commute is 45 highway miles each way. For the last two years though my commute was 3 miles, all city streets. I don't think there is a correlation with my driving habits.

PublicEnemy

My couch pulls out.I dont
So I just wanted to say, listen to everyone on this forum and check your cam follower often! I've learned my lesson the hard way :frown:

Check your follower is the key word here. Not change your follower often as some do.

The hard way? Getting your follower/fuel pump/camshaft replaced under warranty is the hard way? Pretty sure after 60k miles having your follower fail would be the hard way. Your not covered because you are a certified pre-owned. You are covered powertrain/drivetrain to 60k regardless from the factory. I would be glad if I were you getting to have your follower replaced under warranty. The problem isn't just with the follower. It lies in the camshaft. If it was in just the follower it would be something they would check every service interval at the dealership. Eitherway, be glad you got it fixed under warranty and didn't waste $50 on a new cam follower every oil change like a bunch of people on this forum do even being under warranty.

For everyone that is covered under warranty and has the oem fuel pump feel free to paypal me $50 instead of buying a new follower. As a matter of fact, Just paypal me $4,000 if you are still under warranty as well and you think your transmission might fail. :thumbsup:

PublicEnemy

My couch pulls out.I dont
Let me correct myself:

I've learned my lesson (period).

And if by lesson you mean not paying for a new follower out of your own pocket while under 60K miles then that is the right lesson. VW fixed it for you under warranty so why replace it yourself let alone check it under warranty. :thumbsup: Glad your VW is healthy again!

josein06gli

GLI OWNER
Car(s)
VW Jetta GLI
Good to know op is Back on the streets

big_nebrowski

Ready to race!
Thanks for the support. Unfortunately not back on the streets yet. They had to order parts, so won't have the GTI back until tomorrow (hopefully). However I am rocking a brand new jetta as a loaner in the mean time.

Sudu420

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2006 gti mkv
this is nice to know. I can't decide whether to keep my GTI at the end of the lease in May or just turn it in. I love the car and haven't had any problems yet, but I know as soon as I buy it from VW something would go wrong. I would have 1 year left on warranty if I buy it. how much money would it cost for me to have vw check the cam follower every 40k or so and replace it if needed?

Probably alot because thats how dealers work. But honestly it takes about 15 minutes start to finish to check/replace your follower. You just need the right tools. Its an easy DIY that every FSI owner needs to learn how to do or else you end up postion a thread quite like OP's. Its just as important as changing your oil, and honestly its just as easy unless your an 06 with the jambo bolt like I had to deal with. After finding the right tools to get that bitch off, its just as easy.