GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Airbag friendly seat covers?

bigdyno

FIA World Rally Car Newbie
I seem to recall reading somewhere that one should NOT put seat covers on due to the air bags. Has anyone seen a good picture or diagram that shows where the bags are? I have to have seat covers due to work clothes, but want to make sure I don't impede the air bags.

Any help would be appreciated

NorthGTI

Rally Car Newbie
bigdyno said:
Has anyone seen a good picture or diagram that shows where the bags are?

You can't see the tag marked "Airbag" on your seats? That is where the air bag is, right along that seam.

bigdyno

I would like to know which way they deploy so I can alter the seat covers to accommodate deployment. The only pictures I have seen show the two bags deployed from the "a" and "c" pillars, but nothing from the seats. But thanks for pointing out the obvious.

Here's Johnny

Drag Racing Champion
You don't have to alterthe seat cover with the Wet Okoles. They are custom made to the seats, so if there is an airbag they already have a deployment hole on the side of the cover to allow the airbag to deploy properly.

NorthGTI

Rally Car Newbie
bigdyno said:
I would like to know which way they deploy so I can alter the seat covers to accommodate deployment.

Again to point out the obvoius, the seat airbags deploy between the door panel and your body (shoulder to waist). The come from the seam with the tag and deploy forward between the door panel and you. The A, B, C pillar air bags are the curtain system, of course for between the glass and your head.

bigdyno

I guess there is confusion as to what I am trying to find out. If the bag deploys from the back of the seat forward, or from the side straight out or from the front, etc. This would allow me to judge how to alter the seat cover so it will allow proper deployment. Also, how far down the seat does the bag go, and does it deploy beyond the vertical line of the side of the seat (toward your head).

Thanks to everyone who has tried to help, but as I said I am looking for deployment pictures to see the path/presence of the bag upon deployment.

Here's Johnny

Drag Racing Champion
Wet Okoles come with sewn in places for the airbag to deploy out of, there is no modifying needed when you buy the seat covers. You might need to email them to see if they have made covers for the MKVs yet, but the Wet Okoles on the MKIV look great.

bigdyno

I am currently waiting for a reply, thanks for the lead to deadhead.

I am looking at modifying a pair as my main purpose is to protect the seats, not necessaraly for the looks, so spending $235 for an awesome looking set isn't really my first choice. If I can get a set for $50-60 and then make any changes I need to with my NOS equipped sewing machine, that would be my preferred course of action.

NorthGTI

Rally Car Newbie
bigdyno said:
If the bag deploys from the back of the seat forward, or from the side straight out or from the front, etc. This would allow me to judge how to alter the seat cover so it will allow proper deployment. Also, how far down the seat does the bag go, and does it deploy beyond the vertical line of the side of the seat (toward your head).

You may want to read my post a little slower this time.

The bag comes out of the seam with the tag.
It deployes forward from the seat's seam, between the door panel and your body. It does not deploy higher than the seat back.

The new Jetta TV ad shows it in the side impact version.

LoveSpeed

Need for Sleep
Car(s)
Rabbit 2007
I am currently waiting for a reply, thanks for the lead to deadhead.

I am looking at modifying a pair as my main purpose is to protect the seats, not necessaraly for the looks, so spending $235 for an awesome looking set isn't really my first choice. If I can get a set for $50-60 and then make any changes I need to with my NOS equipped sewing machine, that would be my preferred course of action.

Hi bigdyno... did you get the seat cover??? Just wondering how much it cost you???how good they looked on the car??? And did you end up buying them from Wet Okoles???

dpham00

Modérateur Emeritus
:wrongforum: Moved. :wink: