GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Adding OPS to mk5 that does not have factory PDC ?

TDI_DSG

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf MK5
hi all.

i have been trying to figure out if it's possible to install full OPS into a mk5 that didnt come factory fitted with PDC sensors of any kind.

i know Kufatec has a "kit" Clicky

but at 500 euro's (not inc shipping) its a big chunk of change.

can anyone tell me if this is all ill need in order to complete the retrofit ?
keeping in mind i already have an RCD510, and can gateway version S.

would anything extra have to be purchased, ie: bumper with sensor mounts ?
any other controllers, or wiring ?

i wanna make sure before i buy, as its about 1k AU shipped, not including any fitting or coding charges.

Jason.

TDI_DSG

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf MK5
the golf is a small hatch, but there are HUGE blind spots behind, and i park in a very small garage every night.
the car only just fits, i have to get as close to the rear wall as possible in order to be able to close the garage door.

so in short, i don't NEED them, but they would be nice.

Maverick

Go Kart Champion
parking sensors? why the hell do you need those? its a small hatchback not a gigantic truck? if you need parking sensors to park a golf, you sir fail

Because the golf has crap rear visibility and is worse than many 4WD's (SUV's for you Americans) and even our larger sedans.

The test performed by NRMA gave it a distance score of ~14m and about 1/2 star (the golf has been pulled from the list for some reason, maybe VW did some advertising with them???)

http://www.nrma.com.au/keeping-safe...-visibility/reversing-visibility-tables.shtml

Panman

Frequent Modder
I'm just laughing at the idea of coming over to another country's forum to be insulting....

No wonder American foreign policy is so well received.

TKO

Stage 1 GIAC'ed
Car(s)
2006 GTI
there are a cheap and less trouble fix to ur problem i think.

Just make a mark (by sticky tape or something) on the side wall of your garage that indicate a stop mark...(a point just before you hit the wall)

Like the formula 1 racer look for a stop mark to indicate where to stop in the starting grid.

johno

Volkswagen Autoliebhaber
Car(s)
R32
Hmmm...let's see if i can be a unhelpful dick...how about 50,000 mirrors on the outside of the car...

Seriously if Jason wants to put sensors on let him and give helpful comments please boyz.

Maverick

Go Kart Champion
hi all.

i have been trying to figure out if it's possible to install full OPS into a mk5 that didnt come factory fitted with PDC sensors of any kind.

i know Kufatec has a "kit" Clicky

but at 500 euro's (not inc shipping) its a big chunk of change.

can anyone tell me if this is all ill need in order to complete the retrofit ?
keeping in mind i already have an RCD510, and can gateway version S.

would anything extra have to be purchased, ie: bumper with sensor mounts ?
any other controllers, or wiring ?

i wanna make sure before i buy, as its about 1k AU shipped, not including any fitting or coding charges.

Jason.

If you can hang on for a while I'm looking at retrofitting OPS. The Kufatec kit requires the bumper with the pre cut holes so you're looking at around $2k all up (you may want to confirm this with them - see my next paragraph).

It appears that you can buy some oem sensors that still look ok and that fit into the rear standard bumper, they still fit proud of the surface and you may also be able to buy them pre painted. I don't have time to look into this at the moment but will be looking at in early next year.

All going to plan I expect to get away a lot cheaper than $1000 by picking up parts from Europe.

TDI_DSG

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf MK5
sweet.

thanks Mav.

ill wait to hear what you come up with.
just remember, that as it stands, my car has NO PDC at all, right now.

funny

VCDS guru & soon Dad x2 !
Car(s)
Golf MkV GTI MY07
There is a sensor system on the market that DOES NOT need holes. Also has canbus connectability.
Search the web and you will find it (can't remember name now but wasn't hard to find)

Inlimbo

Passed Driver's Ed
If you can hang on for a while I'm looking at retrofitting OPS. The Kufatec kit requires the bumper with the pre cut holes so you're looking at around $2k all up (you may want to confirm this with them - see my next paragraph).

It appears that you can buy some oem sensors that still look ok and that fit into the rear standard bumper, they still fit proud of the surface and you may also be able to buy them pre painted. I don't have time to look into this at the moment but will be looking at in early next year.

All going to plan I expect to get away a lot cheaper than $1000 by picking up parts from Europe.

Has anyone managed to successfully install this yet? I'm confused as to whether the Kufatec Retrofit Kit actually comes with a PDC unit or is it assuming you already have PDC installed from factory.

Attached is the Kufatec Install Guide (in German unfortunately) and a rough Babelfish translation for anyone interested.

Attachments

• ktc_d3f8f53e84bc3f0c7fd0baba6e7f883c.pdf
    535.5 KB · Views: 8,161
  • VW OPS English.doc
    37.5 KB · Views: 2,603

TDI_DSG

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf MK5
the response i got from Kufatec when i enquired was,

this is all i would need, apart from a gateway that supports OPS.
and obviously the rear bar if you want an OEM look.

i think my Gateway (version S) should be ok.
i will try to find out if mine is compatible, and i might buy this kit.

Jason.

TDI_DSG

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf MK5
anyone have further updates on this ?

i am going to be buying a kit this week.

ill keep this thread updated.

Jason.

Dingah

Crusty Aviator
Car(s)
Audi SQ5
You might find fitting a tow bar overcomes all of the issues of concern, is more practical and cheaper. Touch parking ceases to be an issue in most circumstances.

Dingah