GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

90s Raver kids vs today's raver kids

JhnR

Banned
Idk im feeling this newer era..all these chicks half naked is not bad when you feel like a million dollars.. :smoking:

GTI84SD

Ready to race!
Haha, I was wondering if you were going to post this here. I've been passing this around the last few days amongst my friends. We came in somewhere in the middle of these 2 time periods. I've been winding down as of late and only go to a handful of club shows, maybe one big show, and then Burning Man every year. But man oh man some of the things I've seen, haha.

DUBPL8

Go Kart Champion
Idk im feeling this newer era..all these chicks half naked is not bad when you feel like a million dollars.. :smoking:

Out of curiosity, how old are you? I notice the younger crowd is more in tune with this while many of us who went raving back in the day have sentiments in line with this comment on the link:

I was a teen in the 90's, and I remember a lot of this (particularly the wide-leg jeans!) I don't see it as really "slut-shamey" though. I can't really put my finger on it, but I guess the best way I can explain it is that, during the 90's, a lot of what made a girl/woman "hot" or attractive to the alternative or rave crowd wasn't really linked to dressing in as little clothing as possible. Even if you weren't a raver, we still grew up with bands like Garbage, Veruca Salt, Luscious Jackson, Sneaker Pimps, etc., where the female lead singer(s) exuded sexuality but on her own terms and in her own way - the "male gaze" didn't even seem to be a real factor. In other words, in the 90's, many teenage girls/young adult women never really felt compelled to dress in hyper-sexualized styles because garnering acceptance or praise from the raver or alternative groups didn't depend on that. So my personal take on this comparison is that it's sad in a way, as though our attractiveness devolved from being based on our own personal interpretation of our sexuality into a standard cookie-cutter less-is-more style of clothing that seems to aspire solely to arouse the male viewer.

Shirley Manson was and still is hot and she still doesn't need to dress like a hooker to be sexy :iono:

JhnR

Banned
Out of curiosity, how old are you? I notice the younger crowd is more in tune with this while many of us who went raving back in the day have sentiments in line with this comment on the link:

im 25, been to a couple raves after i turned 21. always had a blast, always made new friends, etc.

DUBPL8

Go Kart Champion
im 25, been to a couple raves after i turned 21. always had a blast, always made new friends, etc.

Ah word. I sure wished I hit up the SoCal rave scene back then :(

Yeah ditto that, especially when there used to be tents that played all breaks like Adam Freeland or Uberzone or drum and bass.

Fuck :(

Haha, I was wondering if you were going to post this here. I've been passing this around the last few days amongst my friends. We came in somewhere in the middle of these 2 time periods. I've been winding down as of late and only go to a handful of club shows, maybe one big show, and then Burning Man every year. But man oh man some of the things I've seen, haha.

lol :D

I definitely want to make it out to Burning Man one year since a few of my friends try to get me out there often for their gigs. That's the only place in the world I would catch Bassnectar at, since he knows he can't get away with playing brostep haha bring on the burner breaks Lorin :thumbup:

Last edited:

mustache rash

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 GTI
Are any of you old enough to have experienced raves in the 90s? I'm 33 so I was in the heart of it. You guys must have been 10 wearing jenkos thinking you were cool....the rave scene started dying IMO around 97

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
Except no hot chicks now mostly skinny high dudes... deceiving article

rawbdog

Go Kart Champion
PL8, the next time you make one of these threads, I am going to have Chuck Norris go over there and punch you in the face.

Merkle

Banned
If you ever 'parachuted' your pills then you know what's up. :D

About 5 or 6 years ago I found out they made Vicks infused Kleenex, I nearly shit my pants I was so excited.
Memories of another life, Lol. That was so long ago it seems now.