GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2009 VW GTI won't start... shop says I need a new engine

mweng407

Sigh.

I had just spent $2000 to get the ABS module/pump replaced, and within a month, my GTI threw the Oil Pressure Low, Engine OFF! message. I checked the oil stick, and it was completely dry. So I scheduled an oil change for that afternoon, thinking that it would get that resolved.

Well, before I even got to the oil change, I started the car and it just wouldn't start. All I could hear was the engine spinning and a light clicking sound. So I called AAA, had it towed to the nearest AAA repair shop, and they told me that my engine had low compression and that I would need to get it replaced.

For $8,000.

I contacted VWoA and they said for me to tow it to the nearest VW dealership to get it checked (they said they *might* assist with repair costs). I did that, and the car is sitting at the dealership while I'm trying to figure out what to do from here. All I know is that 1) I really don't have $8,000 to repair the car and 2) I'm not sure it's even worth the trouble to repair it considering it's barely worth $12,000 at this point.

Anyone know what are my best options here, if it turns out to be the worst case scenario? Should I junk the car? Should I repair it?

bowerhour4334

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MKV GTI
I hope you didn't drive it or even run the engine at any point once you noticed there wasn't a drop of oil in it. To me it either seems like something blew and you lost a lot of oil at once. That ir, no offense, but you didn't properly maintain your car and weren't keeping an eye on the oil level. Not trying to bash you, just something to take away from all of this.

Cryptic1911

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2008.5 GTI
probably ran it out of oil and fried it.. you can buy a used motor for probably a grand

mweng407

I scheduled for an oil change that afternoon when I saw that oil pressure was low, and have taken the car in for oil changes on 7500 mile intervals. I didn't check for oil levels regularly but it's a valuable and expensive lesson learned, I guess.

beauy46

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2009 TR GTI
Your car must have been leaking or burning oil a lot!!!. I've never been more than a quart low. And I change my oil every 5000ish since new. Id try to get a used motor and learn for this mistake. I almost try to check my oil every fuel up just for piece of mind.

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
You likely ran it so low on oil that the timing chain tensioner failed. Jumped time, bent valves, no compression. You should be checking it regularly, I'd say at least once a month. Did you top it off before trying to drive it to your oil change??

mweng407

You likely ran it so low on oil that the timing chain tensioner failed. Jumped time, bent valves, no compression. You should be checking it regularly, I'd say at least once a month. Did you top it off before trying to drive it to your oil change??

That's exactly what the dealer told me. I didn't try to top off the oil - the mechanic is about two blocks from my house and right as I started the car to go drop it off at the shop it failed.

By the way, is this thread in any way related to what I've experienced?

http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47128&page=2

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
It may be an easy rebuild but no telling until it's taken apart. I would look for a used motor or part out the car. Dibs on the ABS pump!