GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Öhlins VWS MI00

TypeR_126

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI
How's the ride on those? I'm seeing the Ohlins for about 2K shipped now. Still pricey for just shocks, but I'm willing to pay to get a supple ride that also has good damping in the twisties. I had some fixed perch Ohlins on my STi and they rode better than the stock shocks while handling better as well. I'm running on FSD's right now, and while decent, the rebound damping is way too light.

TypeR_126

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI

TypeR_126

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI
Yep, since you have to use the stock top hats, I figured the front perch is fixed. Not a big deal to me. I'm not concerned with slamming my car. I actually prefer a decent amount of ride height so I don't have to constantly worry about catching my front lip on something. I probably wouldn't go with anything more aggressive than Eibach's. I'm more concerned with the quality of the damper.

TypeR_126

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI
Cool that they finally posted images and instructions for the actual shocks and not the stock photos anymore. They sure look super sharp. The cast aluminum perch on the front strut is particularly trick.

I ended up just getting Bilstein HD's and spending the other $1500 on host of other suspension bits and X braces.

The HD's have been pretty awesome FWIW. They were extremely stiff when new, but have since broken in considerably. The ride is just slightly firmer than stock, but with a lot more body control. Running them with Driver's Gear springs.

vegasGTI

Go Kart Champion
One of, if not the finest shocks made period.

the bruce

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Mk.V 2008
Yes, one of the very finest (like Bilstein, Sachs and KW Competition 3-way full race stuff).

Heard rumours Öhlins will launch a coilover as well later this year.

ps:
Bilstein + DG springs are still a nice combo ;)

Last edited:

GodSquadMandrake

Radioactive Rotary Rocket
Yes, one of the very finest (like Bilstein, Sachs and KW Competition 3-way full race stuff).

Heard rumours Öhlins will launch a coilover as well later this year.

That coilover should be really interesting. Ohlins always chooses some very interesting spring rates for their products, I'll be waiting for this info.

You can add this to your list of the finest:

QRS T5-RS

Quantum on the left in that pic, standard monotube like a Bilstein on the right. They're just saying that they use much less pressure in the shock, and there is a low friction coating. So these things glide like butter and give you the accuracy of robocop. It only takes 10kg of force to make these coilovers react, they are comparing that to a standard monotube coilover which would require 50 kg they claim.

Only $5k and it requires oil changes every year or 5-10k KM's. It needs a full rebuild every 30K KM which costs $2.5K. But you get your initial choice of 5 different settings, and we're not talking about just knobs. They are changing the piston AND the valves for each of these profiles:

Comfort
Touring
Sport
Super Sport
Racing

If you really wanna go total nerd on it:
Second secret is built into the piston body.
QUANTUM RACING damping force damper (= energy) occurs in the room between the second piston fixed to the body with the main shaft and piston move together. Therefore, the gas pressure caused by the body into and out of the shaft, because they act only to absorb the volume of oil changes, regardless of the strength of the damping gas at low pressure (4kgf/cm 2 ~ 7kgf/cm 2) difficulty has been cleared but the problem of cavitation. Therefore, the force pressing the shaft (= reaction force) is only 6kgf ~ 10kgf. For a single-cylinder high-pressure damper general damping (= energy), we have generated in the room between the main piston and piston-free. If you set the damping force that is stronger, higher gas pressure will be balanced with it (17kgf/cm 2 ~ 25kgf/cm 2) had to be. Therefore, the force pressing the shaft (= reaction force) would also become a 34kgf ~ 50kgf. Even the car was running a straight line, for example, the suspension is constantly repeating the stretch or shrink.
Yeah robocop coilovers.

Only shocks w/ fixed perch are available for GTI. You have to buy spring or use oem.

I am about to take delivery of a set of Öhlins. Is anyone running a spring/damper combo they can recommend? A buddy of mine here runs H&Rs but says he gets noise.

I know I can do stock. Anything else known to work well? Cheers.

TypeR_126

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI
My personal recommendation would be to use the Driver's Gear springs unless you want something very aggressive and/or low. You won't get any noise and they're a perfect balance of sport and comfort.

My personal recommendation would be to use the Driver's Gear springs unless you want something very aggressive and/or low. You won't get any noise and they're a perfect balance of sport and comfort.

Thanks, appreciated. A few other folk have suggested the same (in other threads). I'll give it a shot.

GodSquadMandrake

Radioactive Rotary Rocket
My personal suggestion, since these are Ohlins, is just get them revalved and use a set of linear springs for a completely custom setup. It'll be a little bit more expensive, but it'll be the last suspension you ever own. I know I've personally gone through about 10 different suspension setups on all my different cars over the last few years. It's like a constant UPS stream in and out. I probably could've bought these Ohlins just with the money I've wasted on shipping.