GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

LSD Question

-TC-

Car(s)
2009 GTI
I've searched the forums and after an hour and a half and 12 pages of results, haven't found the answer.

First, and foremost, I have a DSG. I'm trying to get everything done before I go with my BT. I have a clutch pack in mind and I've looked into the LSD. Came across a 20 tooth and 25 tooth Wavetrac. Any idea, without dropping and opening the trans, which one I would need? I read that the older models use 20 and newer use the 25. But the LSD was advertised for MK5 and MK6.

Apologies if this has been discussed before, but I couldn't find the info.

-TC-

Car(s)
2009 GTI
That's the list where I got confused because it also lists the 25 tooth as well for the MK5. Thanks for the insight though!

I'm not per say sold on Wavetrac, it's just one of the many options available. Just don't wanna spend $1300-1800 on something that isn't compatible.

SuperSkyline89

Das Schiesse
Car(s)
2008 CW GTI
Everyone just says to count the number of teeth before ordering, which doesn't really help.

The issue is the parking brake ring, the MkV had 20 teeth and the MkVI had 25 teeth but the last MkV's also got 25 teeth. It sounds a lot like the FSI/TSI situation, since you have a TSI I wouldn't be surprised if you also have the 25 tooth parking brake.

http://www.wavetrac.net/download/10185-188_DSG.pdf

Wavetrac says if you find out you have the wrong one and their diff is 100% untouched they'll exchange it so worst case you waste time waiting for a replacement to show up. Your best bet to avoid that is to call them, try asking ECS Tuning also, they deal with so many VW's they might be able to tell you which one to get.

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
You should be able to tell from the trans number. I'm going MFactory for the DSG car, better price and forged pieces.

-TC-

Car(s)
2009 GTI
Like I said, I'm not stuck on the Wavetrac. Just trying to get a rough idea of what I would need. I've read a ton of threads in my previous search and came across a ton of different brands. Just wanna make sure I'm getting the best bang for the buck.

SuperSkyline89

Das Schiesse
Car(s)
2008 CW GTI
If you track your car Wavetrac is the one to buy but otherwise you're paying for something you won't need so you're better off getting another brand

-TC-

Car(s)
2009 GTI
Last time I was in San Diego (10 years ago) I did auto-x with my Camaro. I've since sold it and gone with the GTI. I'm trying to get back into it. But will also be my DD.

SuperSkyline89

Das Schiesse
Car(s)
2008 CW GTI
Fyi an LSD will make a lot of noise, I actually like how it sounds but I don't know if I could put up with it daily. I only put 100km on mine before it went into winter storage so I haven't had time to experience it on a long drive.

The advantage of the Wavetrac is that it has a piece inside with a wave profile cut on it that provides a locking load in situations when there wouldn't be one; between throttle and brake applications and vice versa, or if one wheel unloads while cornering. If the car will never see a track I'd just buy the cheapest one but the wave profile was why I went with Wavetrac. My car sees very little other than autocross and track days so the minor difference matters, if you're only going to do occasional events it might not be worth the money.

-TC-

Car(s)
2009 GTI
I'm ok with the noise issue. That's why I upgraded the stereo, lol.

Still something I want to do, even though 95% of the time it will only be used as a daily. Trying to find some of the guys I used to ride with an do some canyon runs.

Mostic

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
VW Scirocco
Everyone just says to count the number of teeth before ordering, which doesn't really help.

The issue is the parking brake ring, the MkV had 20 teeth and the MkVI had 25 teeth but the last MkV's also got 25 teeth. It sounds a lot like the FSI/TSI situation, since you have a TSI I wouldn't be surprised if you also have the 25 tooth parking brake.

http://www.wavetrac.net/download/10185-188_DSG.pdf

Wavetrac says if you find out you have the wrong one and their diff is 100% untouched they'll exchange it so worst case you waste time waiting for a replacement to show up. Your best bet to avoid that is to call them, try asking ECS Tuning also, they deal with so many VW's they might be able to tell you which one to get.

Exactly :thumbsup:

There have been two styles of this toothed ring used in the DSG over the years. The early (coarse) ones have 20 teeth, while the late (fine) ones have 25 teeth.

Simply the FSI is 20 teeth and the TSI is 25 teeth. This applied on MKV only not FSI on R20.

-TC-

Car(s)
2009 GTI
Simply the FSI is 20 teeth and the TSI is 25 teeth. This applied on MKV only not FSI on R20.

That's what I was thinking as well. But wanted to be sure.

gti2slow

Go Kart Champion
Fyi an LSD will make a lot of noise, I actually like how it sounds but I don't know if I could put up with it daily.

Mine is silent, you really don't know its there until you are using it. Is this a DSG + LSD issue?

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
Mine is silent, you really don't know its there until you are using it. Is this a DSG + LSD issue?

My MFactory on DSG in my car is silent.
My Quaife in Audi also silent.

Last edited:

Das Gespenst

Go Kart Champion
My MFactory on DSG in my car is silent:wink:

Same here, Mfactory LSD and DSG, silent. I love this diff, I had a wavetrac before and switched to the Mfactory. Honestly unless you are reallllllly pushing the car you can't tell any differenc, it might be in my head but I feel the Mfactory performs better.