GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Heater cold on right side only

boraboy

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Golf V GT TDI
My heating stopped working properly yesterday.

Its has dual climate.

with the climate set to either dual or single and the temp set high I only get good heat from the far left side vent. The left center vent is warm, the right center vent is cold and the far right side vent is very cold.

Being a UK car that means I have the cold vents on my side.

The fans work fine at all speeds and the water level is good.

The screen vent seems to be cold aswell.

I tried searching and found many no fans working or no heat at all but nothing about progressive heat from one side to the other.

I seen that there are some flaps or valves to under the dash which I beleive could be the problem but where are they and how easy are they to get to?

Any help or advice welcome, thanks

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
There's a seperate flap for each side, that directs air from the heater core. One is not working. Not easy to get to. Hope you're still in warranty. If not, it could pay to buy an extended warranty that covers them. You might need to wait for a period of time, like 30 days, before submitting a claim.

boraboy

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Golf V GT TDI
unfortunately its a long time out of warrenty being a 2004 car, so its DIY time.

boraboy

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Golf V GT TDI
yeh, 2004 mk5 gt tdi 140

Does the whole dash have to come out or can you get to them by removing the center section?

boraboy

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Golf V GT TDI
Thanks Zach,

I stole this from your other link

Am I correct in thinking that the servo's that control the flaps are 1-2-3-7-8 and 21.

If I only had heat from 1 vent then is it more than 1 servo not working properly ?

If more than 1 did not work, it seems a bit of a coincedence they stopped together.

Is it more likely to be the controller ?

Stangely, no heat all day yesterday but last night it worked fine.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
I think 7 and 8 are only for recirc. - Zach? And do you know which flap motors are for Hot/Cold for the side he's having trouble with?

Are these electric servos or vacuum?

Zach L

VR junkie
All flaps are electric servos. No vacuum is used. 1, 2, 3, 7, 8, & 21 are the flap motors. 7, 8 control fresh/recirc air and do not affect temperature.

I don't know which flaps are specific to heat going to which side. I'd prob have to get in there and look. You may want to try finding a car at a salvage yard to tear into??

Wish I could be more help.

deepblue2uk

same thing happened to me today

Hi have just had the same problem occur today. My 2.0 GT TDI 2004 model has been fine until this morning. All vents are cold except the passenger side. Is this an expensive fix as i am not under warranty either.

loccusst

FIA GT Champion
Car(s)
MKV GTI
Not sure if my issue is from the same type of problem but I have cold air that is blowing out of my owners manual pocket in the glove box even when the heat is on no matter what I select. I have a package 1 MKV 2006.5 so no dual climate here for me.

Rache1988

Hello just googling my car problems and I have exactly the same problem. Have been to vw and local garage too. They want to rip my dash out! Anyone had any luck!