GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

CAN bus Gateway Location

Booba

Ready to race!
Seems like a good temporary solution however one side affect would be that the unit wouldn't stay on for the 30 odd minutes after ignition off, meaning if you are just getting out for a few minutes say at the convenience store or atm then you will need to wait for the entire unit say nav to start up again.

that seems like a fairly simple solution.

it's similar to one i did a few years ago.
i used a relay solution. im assuming the jumper setup just powers down
the radio with ignition off ?

only concern i had with this method was that the radio scans the cd trays every time it boots up.
apart from that, my mod worked until i could afford to replace the gateway.

Jason

jellybelly

I just installed my new RCD510 in my car and used fayaaz's solution while I save up the money for a new gateway to get it installed by the dealer (really want to try it myself but don't have vag com). The battery isn't dead which is promising but I have to enter the radio code every time I start up the engine. Not sure whether this is because I haven't connected up the radio (adapter on its way) or because the solution resets the unit every time I turn the engine off. Any thoughts?

Booba

Ready to race!
You could buy 2 vagcom units with what the dealer would stab you with.

I just installed my new RCD510 in my car and used fayaaz's solution while I save up the money for a new gateway to get it installed by the dealer (really want to try it myself but don't have vag com). The battery isn't dead which is promising but I have to enter the radio code every time I start up the engine. Not sure whether this is because I haven't connected up the radio (adapter on its way) or because the solution resets the unit every time I turn the engine off. Any thoughts?

jellybelly

You could buy 2 vagcom units with what the dealer would stab you with.

Yeah I called up to find out how much they would charge me to update the CAN, they quoted me ~$450 for the CAN and ~$100 labour..CRAZY.

I though i would just buy the gateway from http://www.bold-sport.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&path=43_39&product_id=70 and get them to install it. Was also considering a cheap vag com unit from ebay or something, but most on this forum have advised against it.

buckets

Ready to race!
Mate, drop me a PM and I will give you a hand. I have the VCDS cable and have replaced a few CAN gateways for just this reason. Might cost you a few cold bevvies though! lol

s4mmy

Mate, drop me a PM and I will give you a hand. I have the VCDS cable and have replaced a few CAN gateways for just this reason. Might cost you a few cold bevvies though! lol

I'm thinking about installing an RCD510 soon... would be happy to buy you a slab for some help. :p I've never done any home mods on a VW so been a bit wary in doing anything with my GTi... :p

buckets

Ready to race!
I'm thinking about installing an RCD510 soon... would be happy to buy you a slab for some help. :p I've never done any home mods on a VW so been a bit wary in doing anything with my GTi... :p

PM me mate. I work shift so end up with enough days off to lend a helping hand.

s4mmy

PM me mate. I work shift so end up with enough days off to lend a helping hand.

Need to buy a 510 first. Been trawling eBay and forums trying to find one.
Need to check my car to, not exactly sure what adapters etc ill need. Will definitely shoot you a PM when I get all that cleared up. :thumbup: