GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

iPhone 5 and iPod Connectors and Adaptors

BDubsVDub

IMO
Car(s)
09 GTI MkV
Hey there GTI and Rabbit / Golf pals. Apple released the iPhone 5 today and it has a new connector. Here is a thread for people to post mods to existing car iPhone and iPod interfaces.

Here is some new info on the iPhone 5.

Last edited:

Slothy

Distrusts the trustworthy
Car(s)
2008 GTI
What the???? Did this thread just get moderated? O_O Could have sworn I was just looking at posts about someone who couldn't spell.

There's a pretty simple for the new iPhone 5 connector issue - just don't buy it. Not really sure how they intend to differentiate themselves from the rest, aside from the Apple name and sticker. I'm no Apple fan but even I expected more from this launch. All anyone said of the 4S was 'sure, there isn't much new but wait for the iPhone 5!'. I think Siri made a bigger splash than this.

To actually be on topic - does anyone know if the 'Lightning' connector on it is a reference to Thunderbolt? should we expect Thunderbolt compatibility and transfer speeds?

Jack-E-Son

Ready to race!
Looked at, probably an updated version/description of the adapter, both says supports analog audio out but not video.

'This adapter lets you connect devices with a Lightning connector to many of your 30-pin accessories.* Support for analog audio output, USB audio, as well as syncing and charging. Video output not supported.'

So from what i can tell. Audio would work as normal, just no video.

PS: Lightning and Thunderbolt is Apples name for their new connectors. And Lightning is supposedly faster and all digital.