GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

P0171 and other goodies

baynehh

New to the game.
Car(s)
2009 GTI
My '09 2.0t has been killing my bank account the last month.

Beginning of May had the following done:
- Rear main seal
- Upper timing cover and camshaft cradle resealed
- Vacuum pump seals replaced
- Outer CV Boot
- Flywheel replaced

2 weeks after all of that, my #4 fuel injector got stuck wide open, so I had the fuel injectors replaced.

Driving today and my CEL came on throwing a P0171. AutoZone scanned the code and recommended a PCV Valve replacement.

Any one have thoughts or experience with this? It has been idling fine, but driving a bit sluggish and taking it's sweet time downshifting from 2nd to 1st. Any help or advice appreciated as I am tempted to clear the code and sell the car at this point.

PCV Valve replacement looks easy enough for a DIY - just don't want to be chasing my tail if that isn't the problem.

vwengineer

Ready to race!
It's easy to replace the PCV but P0171 is lean condition, if can be other things like a failed gasket, or damaged hose. Did you check the PCV by removing the oil cap or dip stick at idle? How is idle then? If PCV is good, idle should get bad, if it's bad there would be no changes

baynehh

New to the game.
Car(s)
2009 GTI
It's easy to replace the PCV but P0171 is lean condition, if can be other things like a failed gasket, or damaged hose. Did you check the PCV by removing the oil cap or dip stick at idle? How is idle then? If PCV is good, idle should get bad, if it's bad there would be no changes

I will try that! I wasn't sure of a way to test the PCV but was hoping that one would come up! Thanks!