GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

WEIRD engine issues

ConnerrySER04

East Coast transplant
Car(s)
MKVGTI
im telling you, its the same thing that happened to me. its the crankcase valve. it will do that, itll sit at idle then go up to like 2000rpm then go down to 1krpm and then go down to 600rpm then go up again. Just sitting at a light and itll do it. take it to v dub and they will fix it, good ol warranty hehe

You'd mentioned a noise was being made as well. Can you be a little more specific? Because now the fucking thing is making a high pitched noise, like steam escaping from a pipe, while at idle, along w/ the other shit. Still can't get into the dealer before next Weds. I'm not particularly mechanically inclined, so I'm wary about poking around under there for fear of screwing something else up. I'm so annoyed, I'm almost hoping it just fukcing explodes in the driveway, so I can call it a day and start over with something else. I mean, it's been a fun car, but for fuck's sake, can it hold together for longer than a month at a time? Sorry about the language, but after exploding fog light, 3 airbag light repairs, new A/C, new fuel pump, DV, and now whatever this is, I'm pretty much over the really nice interior.

shue333

driver found
You'd mentioned a noise was being made as well. Can you be a little more specific? Because now the fucking thing is making a high pitched noise, like steam escaping from a pipe, while at idle, along w/ the other shit. Still can't get into the dealer before next Weds. I'm not particularly mechanically inclined, so I'm wary about poking around under there for fear of screwing something else up. I'm so annoyed, I'm almost hoping it just fukcing explodes in the driveway, so I can call it a day and start over with something else. I mean, it's been a fun car, but for fuck's sake, can it hold together for longer than a month at a time? Sorry about the language, but after exploding fog light, 3 airbag light repairs, new A/C, new fuel pump, DV, and now whatever this is, I'm pretty much over the really nice interior.

i would have to say it is indeed your pcv valve. i had the same thing. revving on it's own and a god aweful squeal when pulling vacuum. it's covered under warranty. and the squeal sounds as if it's coming from the turbo area. when i took mine in, the part was on national backorder. so be prepared to have to wait awhile. i think it was 2/3 weeks. tell the dealer you researched the symptoms and pcv is the cause. this will help them diagnose it.

ConnerrySER04

East Coast transplant
Car(s)
MKVGTI
i would have to say it is indeed your pcv valve. i had the same thing. revving on it's own and a god aweful squeal when pulling vacuum. it's covered under warranty. and the squeal sounds as if it's coming from the turbo area. when i took mine in, the part was on national backorder. so be prepared to have to wait awhile. i think it was 2/3 weeks. tell the dealer you researched the symptoms and pcv is the cause. this will help them diagnose it.

I need to check to see if there's oil 'round the cap then...it's just that this dealer is frustrating, because it's the only one here in Albuquerque, and they're bookined till next week. Which would suck, if I take it, and then have to wait ANOTHER 2-3 weeks. Thanks for your input, though, appreciate it.

julito04

I plead the fif.
Car(s)
08 WRX Limited
yea it makes the nastiest high pitched noise and is annoying as hell. my dealer fixed it same day and he said it was a bad crankcase valve. i drove on it for like 7 days and it was fine, i just tried to NOT boost as much as possible just in case.

ConnerrySER04

East Coast transplant
Car(s)
MKVGTI
Well it's finally into the dealership. ///////let's see what they find. Told 'em that I'd called around to several other dealerships in Florida, AZ, and TX, and they all seem to think it's the pcv...(really...I'm going by y'all's experiences, but they're ...well...a dealership.) Gave 'em the Autozone codes. Will post up the results later today.

shue333

driver found
I need to check to see if there's oil 'round the cap then...it's just that this dealer is frustrating, because it's the only one here in Albuquerque, and they're bookined till next week. Which would suck, if I take it, and then have to wait ANOTHER 2-3 weeks. Thanks for your input, though, appreciate it.

the pcv fails in two ways. "oil around the cap" would not result from this.

(case one) the actual pcv assembly is cracked. the disc on my pcv is what cracked. i know this because the leaking vacuum sound was there, and there was some oil at the rear of the disc shaped part.

(case two) if you're actual check valve INSIDE the pcv assembly goes bad, then you will have "oil around the cap" and will be losing a little boost.

digital hippie's pcv fix DIY would apply to case 2 :thumbup:

Turbo GTI

Autocross Newbie
Make sure you check to see if you have either a broken PCV or Misfire due to a fualty coilpack. The same thing happened to me. I have a MT and it was reving crazy. Drove fine but when I stopped it would go nuts. Turned out I had 3 bad coilpacks

ConnerrySER04

East Coast transplant
Car(s)
MKVGTI
UPDATE: Defective "Oil Breather Hose=PCV

...Car's ready, dealer just called. The "Oil Breather Hose" had a split in it, was causing "a little bit of vacuum". :iono:

So, essentially some hose took a dump, and they repaired it under warranty. I'll post all the info from the work order up after I get home from picking it up. Hope it's just a fluke; I'd hate for this to be yet another issue with the MKV in general, but it doesn't seem like that's the case...yet. What sucks is that means I may still have a pcv issue pending in future.

Last edited:

matt w

Ready to race!
...Car's ready, dealer just called. The "Oil Breather Hose" had a split in it, was causing "a little bit of vacuum". :iono:

So, essentially some hose took a dump, and they repaired it under warranty. I'll post all the info from the work order up after I get home from picking it up. Hope it's just a fluke; I'd hate for this to be yet another issue with the MKV in general, but it doesn't seem like that's the case...yet. What sucks is that means I may still have a pcv issue pending in future.

thats the pcv valve.

julito04

I plead the fif.
Car(s)
08 WRX Limited
is the crankcase valve the same thing?

julito04

I plead the fif.
Car(s)
08 WRX Limited
hmmm... then im really going to get the pcv fix now, thanx bro.

ConnerrySER04

East Coast transplant
Car(s)
MKVGTI
AND...you're ALL right, it was the damn pcv valve. Now....MY question is...this was version E....wasn't it supposed to be a version G? or am I just drunk?

Eviloliv3

Ready to race!
i havent read any of the posts after you stated "P0171"

when you mess around in the engine bay and get codes like that. it means you didnt put things back the way they were.

P0171 is a code for reading incoming air from the MAF sensor. it senses too little air coming in (air coming in after the sensor) and tries to match air to fuel, but the o2 sensor notices theres less fuel and throws a code. check all your connections after the MAF sensor (Mass Air Flow)