GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Just dropped wife off and encountered 335i

Carfantiti

Ready to race!
I was on way home driving twisties black diamond road wa..ahead pulled out a 335i similar to mine.I could see he just got it by sticker rear window and decided fly up around turn knowing he could not hold back from punching it.low and behold he did and i gave it all my little stock gti had to try stay behind him.I would been bummed if i did not own one myself but I new the 335i halls ass!
I was wishing he turn when he saw my blinker so we could talk but he kept going.

flat tire

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Electric + 135i
I raced one of these earlier today. It was the newest gen. He was tuned and pulled several cars on the highway from 80 - 130. Me < S2 100 oct + mw50 + gutted interior.

Carfantiti

Ready to race!
Yeah I own a 2008 335i with jb+ gave to mom to drive I think the vw is funner to drive but miss my 335i its better in every way .It halls ass going 60 in a twisty is so easy.I bought the gti to daily drive realy fun to drive.I wonder if a upgrade s are a waste of tim on it ?will stage two still not even get close to a stock 335i?
I guess the big window no hood to see you feel like your going faster than you are in gti.
really like steering wheel and lights in the gti.I wish they sport up the bmw more.

Last edited:

boki

Ready to race!
I was inching on a stock 335i with my stage 2 TSI GLI once probably 30-90mph or so (APR S2, S3 IC, BSH TBP, AWE TOP, 42DD DP, Carbonio and some other stuff and I know he would probably walk me after 100mph but it was fun anyways. The other day I just walked away from another one but now I have k04 - best bang for the buck if you ask me and still a lot of fun to drive with proper brakes, tires, suspension and other mods even though it's fail wheel drive.

flat tire

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Electric + 135i
The 335i will be faster in a drag race with less money spent on tuning. However, total cost of ownership will probably favor the GTI, even if both are tuned. Tackling curves depends on the driver. You need 2 trained drivers for the 335 to beat the GTI there; most won't come close to pushing the limits of either car on a road course.

Carfantiti

Ready to race!
Just drove the 335i tonight have not drove it for weeks only the gti.The 335i is effortless going fast
There is a very windy road i drive to get to the 18.I find myself doing 60 mph as if doing 35 mph.when driving the gti 40 mph feels like Im going 70 mph .The ride is smooth like driving on rails in bmw.I guess thats why
I enjoy the vw more I feel like Im pushing it .

07GTI-2.0T

Go Kart Champion
Well as someone who just went from Frankenturbo with coilovers to stock 6sp 335i N54 e92 coupe I think the BMW is way overrated and respected. Stock its slow as balls compared to a k04 GTI (yet EVERY car wanted to race the GTI and virtually ALL are scared to run the 335i when I pull up to a light). It may be able to hold a curve with less drama than a GTI but steering response is kind of shitty. I can rock the steering wheel back and forth an inch and the car hardly moves where I'd be doing a damn slalom in the GTI if I did that. It has just as many reliability issues as a GTI (I haven't encountered them but they are there). All it really has going for it are looks, RWD and 400whp cost next to nothing (JB4 $479, name brand catless DP $380-530, FMIC $420 to $900 on the high side and a splash of e85 mixed in. intake about as useful as they are on a GTI) which is why I bought one. So far I have ST coilovers in the garage waiting for M3 upper and lower control arms before I install them. I don't even want more power with the ice cream soft suspension. Without suspension and tune car is not even close to as fast or responsive as the old GTI. Oh yeah intake valve cleaning is as cheap as $350...longitudinal lol.

boki

Ready to race!
^Very insightful and honest review...thank you sir...I was so interested in 335i for a long time but more I read about it I kind of figured that it wouldn't be financially prudent and rewarding at the end (I know that it takes like a $1-2k to get it to 400whp but $20k extra on top of my GLI to buy it in the first place, plus worse on gas-I have more than 100k miles on mine for less than 5 years of owning it) so I just went k04 and couldn't be happier (for now at least). I was wondering is there anything that could be done with the steering feel, any tuning that could be done there, upgraded parts swapped? I guess those M3 upper and lower arms should improve overall feel right?

boki

Ready to race!
^Or i135M...I wish I could test drive either one...I need to get excited about a car first before I start saving the dough...and if it's suspension is plush and steering vague like 07gti-2.0t said 335i is then I'd have my doubts...but yea, reviewers and test drivers have said that it's the closest one to the pure driving experience of the old M3's. Did you test drive one and could you give us more experiences/impressions?

vegasGTI

Go Kart Champion
I raced one of these earlier today. It was the newest gen. He was tuned and pulled several cars on the highway from 80 - 130. Me < S2 100 oct + mw50 + gutted interior.

i did several pulls when inwas stg2 with wm and i hung dead even at same speeds he was stock. When he went stage 2 inwent ko4 and again we were almost dead even. Now a tuned 335 on wm race file is very fast you need bt or rods for that.

Carfantiti

Ready to race!
I drove a 135i m package yes I loved it .it really reminds me my e30 m3 on steroids.I kinda wish I had it over my 335i 4dr but gave car to mom to drive an how.
I don't notice what the other guy said about steering in 335i .
Really easy to go fast in it.
My two dream cars would be 1m and the new r coming out.what I like most about vw is its practical.the two door has plenty room for back seat passengers .the trunk so easy put groceries .fold the seats and to put something in it.for all around driver I go vw 2014 R.For badass sports car 1m no doubt!