GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

list your electrical gremlins

crono35

OK, these cars are definitely known for being electronically finicky. I know there's a million threads out there about different issues, but I wanted to make one thread that collects all the common failure points in one place (my apologies if something like this already exists).

My 08 FSI with 47k miles that I just picked up has the following issues:

- driver side door sensor is intermittent
- rear map lights do not work, manually or automatically
- trunk light does not work

I figure these things are pretty minor, but it's my fault I didn't pick up on them when buying the car.

What all issues are you guys currently having?

crono35

Well, I just got an airbag light, lol. I think it's from turning the car on without plugging the center airbag light in while I was installing a slim subwoofer yesterday.

I only have a KII USB cable right now, looks like I'll be ordering the can bus earlier than expected.

langer

i fix teefs
Driver's door module intermittent
Rear hatch doesn't unlock occasionally
Just those two at the moment, but a dozen or so issues along the way.

3carmonte

Gelbrain
Car(s)
2007 GTI DSG Coup
The factory radio/head unit does the automatic volume increase as I'm just rolling in traffic or down the road. It's very intermittent and the car had 57K on it when I bought it and it's always done this. To return to the original volume all I have to do is switch to a different band (From AM to FM or vice/versa) and back again and it's just another WTF!
It works on a hard acceleration as it's supposed to so it's not really broke, just flakey...

c3156

I have learned that VW's in general tend to have a lot of electrical issues. Other owners I run across have the same problems. Here is just a list of the electrical issues I have had in the last few years (plenty more mechanical issues):

04 Jetta

- Auto trans speed sensor goes out about once a year (stops shifting)
- Radio is crap

07 GTI:

- Intermittently the drivers door will not sense open
- Lost a coil pack and had misfires
- Currently has locked in VCDS issue with headlight adjustment motors(L & R)

09 TDI:

- Intake flap motor went bad
- Exhaust flap motor went bad
- 3 of 4 door lock mechanisms went bad
- Radio died

10 TDI:

- Intake flap motor went bad
- Exhaust flap motor went bad
- Radio died