GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DM Tune and fuel trim issues

Pissat4motion

Time Lord
I think you would have issues regardless of the tune, running the K&N. I believe I read that it may have something to do with the way the K&N is constructed at the MAF mounting point. Not 100% on that though.
I've been running a Neuspeed Pflo on DM stage2 and K04+ with no issues.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
What is the main issue with this fuel tryin problem? The K&N is the size of the compressor inlet all the way to the filter. I think it's 2.5 inch? Is that the problem? I have a different intake that goes from 2.5 to 2.75-inch. Will that one solve the trim issue? This is frustrating. It's hard to swallow paying $550 for software only to have this issue. I told the DM guys I had a K&N before buying the software. This fuel trim issue.shoulda been disclosed. The factory software program ran prefect with the K&N. I'm sorry but this is unacceptable.

I think your best bet is to buy a known good intake like CTS or EVOMS, and then sell the K&N intake to recoup some of your expenses. The problem is easy to solve and you take a small hit financially.

When buying mods I never rely 100% on the vendor, best to do a little homework on what works and what doesn't. I read about the K&N problems here on the forum and steered away from it. K&N is a hometown business for me and I was dissappointed it did not work but folks on the forum write up a lot of stuff to help us make choices.

Last edited:
Car(s)
Subaru
i dont like cts intakes for their filters alone. id opt for buying a used cts and buying an aem dry filter if you go that route. outside of that, look for a used intake or build your own. i have a k&n myself and had to turn off the maf but i have a manual and it works great for me.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
i dont like cts intakes for their filters alone. id opt for buying a used cts and buying an aem dry filter if you go that route. outside of that, look for a used intake or build your own. i have a k&n myself and had to turn off the maf but i have a manual and it works great for me.

I have been using the CTS for last 2 years since going K04, it has worked well for me.

gti2slow

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Subaru
I have been using the CTS for last 2 years since going K04, it has worked well for me.

the filters dry up and flake away. seen it on 2 tsi intakes from them. id ratehr play it safe and go with a better filter imho. outside of the filter, i think the cts unit is one of the best for sure

golfballer78

Ready to race!
Car(s)
08' R32 dsg
i regret selling my p-flow sometimes. ended up scoring a used carbonio scoop for oe airbox. honestly i couldnt feel much difference in paying 300 retail for either of them. your cylinders will only pull in so much at a time. I guess open cone filters make an easier path for air at the cost of some heat.

fastwire

Ready to race!
K&N intake here and no fuel trims issues

Car(s)
Subaru
Who tuned your car?

Edit. I'm on my phone and can't see sigs but I diddle that you're on DM. DM tunes specially for k&n. Op may have a oily maf. I'd clean it first

Jet08

Ready to race!
I have used both the standard intake and a Volant with mt DM stage 2 tune with no issues, I would suggest if you have the OEM intake then to put it back on there is only a very small loss of performance at high RPM stangely it feels a bit stronger down low with the OEM. Currently have the DV relocated so using the Volant.

Spectre

Ready to race!
I.D of the intake needs to be 2.75". I've made intakes 2.5", 2.75", 3" when I had APR software to see the effect. Only the 2.75 works due to that being the same size of the OEM intake I.D. The 2.5" worked ok but you could tell the car didn't like it. The 3" would barely allow it to run. Either way, DM should be able to rescale MAF values to work with that intake
Not sure what I.D. means. I'm going to try the 2.75-inch intake I guess. I'm pawning the K&N off to someone else. But I'm still going to use a K&N filter as I know that's not the issue.