GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MKV - Throttle Body Assembly

GTILUV

Hello.
I have a 2007 MKV GTI with the APR Stage 1 ECU upgrade. Recently, my EPC would kick off during hard acceleration and cut off my boost. The car would limp around with a top speed of 20mph until I let it rest for a bit. I took the car to my local VW dealership to run a diag. They told me that an error code popped up that stated that the throttle body assembly needed to be replaced. Since they wanted to charge me $2,400 for the job, and I don’t have that much cash at the moment, I decided to look up how to do it on my own. Even though I’m not a mechanic, I’ve replaced a few alternators and starters in my previous vehicles, so a TBA shouldn’t be any harder to replace. I found a nice webpage that outlines the removal of the part, the only question I have with it is the part where I have to recalibrate the throttle body assembly. As I interpret the instructions, I will need to “recode” the TBA if I remove it from the engine. I am assuming that I will need to do this if either I replace the part, or take it out to clean it out and test it. According to the APR ECU upgrade manual, there’s a feature to calibrate the throttle body. Is this is the same as “recoding” the throttle body?

Bonus question: I am assuming that the recoding process is necessary due to the fact that I have to remove the wire from the throttle body sensor at the time of removal. If I somehow figure out how to remove the assembly without removing the wire, could I circumvent this process?

I appreciate any assistance anyone can give.
Thanks.
-Tony S.

Reference:
http://www.goapr.com/support/dpp_emcs_instructions.pdf
http://www.pelicanparts.com/techart...3-FUEL-Throttle_Body_Cleaning_Replacement.htm

Last edited:

Jet08

Ready to race!
I believe it is called throttle body adaption which is performed using VCDS - Vagcom.

I think that should be your first route, get hold of a proper Vagcom and do an adaption on the old throttle body before replacing it. Oh not many user serviceable parts in the TBody, generally a clean or replace.

BAMF

Ready to race!
If you can't get VCDS to adapt the throttle body it's no big deal. The ECU will learn it on the first drive. It'll stumble and feel like it's going to stall at first, but by the time you drive a few blocks it will smooth out.