GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV


  VW GTI Forum / VW Rabbit Forum / VW R32 Forum / VW Golf Forum - Golfmkv.com


 
Register
MYGOLF garage
Timeslips
Search
Members List
Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Go Back   VW GTI Forum / VW Rabbit Forum / VW R32 Forum / VW Golf Forum - Golfmkv.com > Members Area > Off-topic / Misc.


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2008, 03:02 PM   #23
KingOfJericho
Formula 5000 Champion
 
KingOfJericho's Avatar
 
Drives: 135i ZMP
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Norwalk, CT
Posts: 2,252
Send a message via AIM to KingOfJericho
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric1285 View Post
The only people who aren't willing to listen to a well thought out argument are idiots who are mired in their own stubbornness. I happen to be a mild conservative, and one of my best friends is a raging liberal. Over the course of our friendship, he's changed my views on certain topics.

I have to believe that not everyone here is an idiot. There were good arguments made in both the bailout thread and the thread about people selling their almost new cars. The people who actually take the time to write out a decent argument typically are ones who will respond when someone presents them with a clear set of statements with facts to back them up.

I see this ban as kind of insult to our ability to have a serious discussion.
The bottom line is that people get flat-out angry when it comes to politics. That also applies to very intelligent people. On the Lotus forum that I used to frequent, there were many people who were incredibly smart and very well educated but when it comes to politics, the gloves come off and they instantly become assholes. I just went on there again to see if it had improved at all and it has actually completely degenerated to an angry mess.

Feel free to take a look: Lotus Off-Topic forum
KingOfJericho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 03:03 PM   #24
KingOfJericho
Formula 5000 Champion
 
KingOfJericho's Avatar
 
Drives: 135i ZMP
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Norwalk, CT
Posts: 2,252
Send a message via AIM to KingOfJericho
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remus6 View Post
This is why my friends and I have a standing unspoken rule amongst ourselves:

"If you like someone, do not dicuss religion and politics."

I think it works great.
I couldn't agree more.
KingOfJericho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 03:07 PM   #25
brekdown29
J-O-O
 
brekdown29's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 Forester XT
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 2,826
Vortex has an entire forum related to the '08 election. Knock your socks off over there.

disclaimer: I don't see the problem in having political threads on here either in the off-topic section. Why the censorship?
__________________
Current: 2014 Subaru Forester XT and 2004 Volvo V70 R

Prior: 1990 Volvo 740, 1998 Volvo 850, 2004 S40, 2007 VW GLI
brekdown29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 03:21 PM   #26
MkVBlkMgc
Wir wollen lebensraum!
 
MkVBlkMgc's Avatar
 
Drives: '08 GTI 2Dr. DSG Blk Magic
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Loves Park, IL
Posts: 1,154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnus2387 View Post
your obviously gay then no one will report nudity because we all like naked chicks... Hmmmmm.....
Why do you care - unless you are interested? Hmmmmmm......
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTIxpinay View Post
i swear everytime i've been quoted, im talking about either penises or vaginas, wtf.
MkVBlkMgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 03:52 PM   #27
Raddicted
Perfectly insane
 
Raddicted's Avatar
 
Drives: Cayman S RUF X51 conversion
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Therapy
Posts: 3,355
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthem40 View Post
This explains why the off topic forum is full of stupid games and post whores.

Good call on preventing any real discussion from happening.
LOL.

I have to admit though all those stupid fu<king "game" threads are a big waste and should be banned before any political thread. I guess as long as the hardcore Swedish porn thread stays then I am happy at least.
__________________
There is an idea of a Raddicted; some kind of abstraction. But there is no real me; only an entity, something illusory. And though I can hide my cold gaze, and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable... I simply am not there.
Raddicted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 04:07 PM   #28
Lucidity
Marx
 
Lucidity's Avatar
 
Drives: MX-5 NB & C5 Allroad
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Charlotte
Posts: 4,837
God forbid people have an argument over something that actually matters. The whole idea of having a ban, on any type of discussion that is not violating some sort of law, isn't very American.

You guys seem to have no problem keeping an extremely long leash on the versus forum, one that is dedicated to confessions of illegal activity, yet we can't talk about politics.....wtf is the world coming to.
__________________
Freedom is the tower where the watchman blows his horn and must always be kept dearer than the merchant's price of gold. The glory of that tower is a frail and brittle thing, if no one tends the call of the damage done.
Lucidity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 05:25 PM   #29
Eric1285
FIA GT Newbie
 
Drives: '09 CW 2 Door GTI
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 809
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidity View Post
God forbid people have an argument over something that actually matters. The whole idea of having a ban, on any type of discussion that is not violating some sort of law, isn't very American.

You guys seem to have no problem keeping an extremely long leash on the versus forum, one that is dedicated to confessions of illegal activity, yet we can't talk about politics.....wtf is the world coming to.
Agreed. Why in the world do you let people talk about street racing, yet we can't have some friendly banter over differing political views?
Eric1285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 05:36 PM   #30
KingOfJericho
Formula 5000 Champion
 
KingOfJericho's Avatar
 
Drives: 135i ZMP
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Norwalk, CT
Posts: 2,252
Send a message via AIM to KingOfJericho
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric1285 View Post
Agreed. Why in the world do you let people talk about street racing, yet we can't have some friendly banter over differing political views?
Because it doesn't remain "friendly" for very long...
KingOfJericho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 05:40 PM   #31
Lucidity
Marx
 
Lucidity's Avatar
 
Drives: MX-5 NB & C5 Allroad
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Charlotte
Posts: 4,837
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfJericho View Post
Because it doesn't remain "friendly" for very long...
If I had a dollar for all the posts that don't make the "friendly" cut, I'd be driving an R8 TDI....
__________________
Freedom is the tower where the watchman blows his horn and must always be kept dearer than the merchant's price of gold. The glory of that tower is a frail and brittle thing, if no one tends the call of the damage done.
Lucidity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 05:47 PM   #32
KingOfJericho
Formula 5000 Champion
 
KingOfJericho's Avatar
 
Drives: 135i ZMP
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Norwalk, CT
Posts: 2,252
Send a message via AIM to KingOfJericho
I posted a link in a previous post showing another forum with its political threads. I read through much of it before flat-out giving up on the forum completely because it brought out the worst in everyone. It's not entirely uncommon for politics to be banned from a forum. There are many subjects that can be discussed without issue, but politics gets heated, read: very unfriendly, very quickly and it is literally NEVER productive. It's like screaming at a stone wall, except that stone wall hates you in the end...
KingOfJericho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 05:53 PM   #33
julito04
I plead the fif.
 
Drives: Scoobaru tyrannosaurus WRX.
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: STL
Posts: 11,585
Send a message via AIM to julito04 Send a message via Yahoo to julito04
Either way, Its up to Dpham to make judgement on what he and the other moderators think is acceptable. There is a reason he and others are moderators. They run the site and what they say goes, If you dont like the way it is run then join the Vortex "08 Election" thread and go bananas there. Remember, this is a public forum that is run privately at their own discretion. Im neutral on the subject of discussing it on a car forum but there is a reason why he is doing it, just respect it.
__________________
-_- AEM - Cobb - Rally Armor - Kartboy - SPT - BC Racing - Whiteline -_-

Quote:
If you say "jesus" backwards, it sounds like sausage.
julito04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 05:57 PM   #34
Anthem40
Day and Night
 
Anthem40's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 GTI
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Colorado
Posts: 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfJericho View Post
Because it doesn't remain "friendly" for very long...
There is no forum rule that posts must remain friendly though.
Anthem40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 06:01 PM   #35
Anthem40
Day and Night
 
Anthem40's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 GTI
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Colorado
Posts: 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by julito04 View Post
Either way, Its up to Dpham to make judgement on what he and the other moderators think is acceptable. There is a reason he and others are moderators. They run the site and what they say goes, If you dont like the way it is run then join the Vortex "08 Election" thread and go bananas there. Remember, this is a public forum that is run privately at their own discretion. Im neutral on the subject of discussing it on a car forum but there is a reason why he is doing it, just respect it.
aka fall in line with the rest of the sheep?

There is nothing wrong with expressing a differing opinion from those in charge, or questioning why a decision was made.

Furthermore, the objective of any forum is to maintain or increase membership. If members are told to "go to forum X" if you want to have a real discussion, then guess what? golfmkv.com loses valuable members. Less members = less sposnorship and ad money.
Anthem40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 06:34 PM   #36
julito04
I plead the fif.
 
Drives: Scoobaru tyrannosaurus WRX.
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: STL
Posts: 11,585
Send a message via AIM to julito04 Send a message via Yahoo to julito04
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthem40 View Post
aka fall in line with the rest of the sheep?

There is nothing wrong with expressing a differing opinion from those in charge, or questioning why a decision was made.

Furthermore, the objective of any forum is to maintain or increase membership. If members are told to "go to forum X" if you want to have a real discussion, then guess what? golfmkv.com loses valuable members. Less members = less sposnorship and ad money.
IF you were to leave this forum because you are not allowed to debate/discuss poiltical issues then the site would keep its integrity as a CAR FORUM. What brought you here again? I hope it wasnt because of the witty banter in the off topic section. The off topic section is an added bonus on this site as is the VS. section that can be run any way deemed necessary. If you were a mod and seeing the name calling/mud slinging in EVERY political thread you would do something about it also.. by the way...BaAaAaAaAhHhHhH...

Im not here to get into an argument or a pissing match about rights, considering this is international forum. Im just agreeing with Dpham on an issue that I personally see get out of hand on EVERY thread that is created about the subject.
__________________
-_- AEM - Cobb - Rally Armor - Kartboy - SPT - BC Racing - Whiteline -_-

Quote:
If you say "jesus" backwards, it sounds like sausage.
julito04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 06:52 PM   #37
KingOfJericho
Formula 5000 Champion
 
KingOfJericho's Avatar
 
Drives: 135i ZMP
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Norwalk, CT
Posts: 2,252
Send a message via AIM to KingOfJericho
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthem40 View Post
aka fall in line with the rest of the sheep?

There is nothing wrong with expressing a differing opinion from those in charge, or questioning why a decision was made.

Furthermore, the objective of any forum is to maintain or increase membership. If members are told to "go to forum X" if you want to have a real discussion, then guess what? golfmkv.com loses valuable members. Less members = less sposnorship and ad money.
What's amazing is that I left my previous car forum solely because of all of the political garbage that consumed the site. I am quite happy with the way this forum is run. There are many things that were not allowed by my previous forum that are allowed here. Most of us are adults here so what's wrong with swearing and titties? Nothing... but both were banned on my previously frequented forum.

If you don't like the music, change the dial.
KingOfJericho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 06:59 PM   #38
dorn101
Jai Guru Deva Om
 
dorn101's Avatar
 
Drives: '07 GTI 6spd United Gray
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Amish Country, PA
Posts: 1,852
Send a message via AIM to dorn101
Can we add religion to that as well? I'm sick of hearing that debate thrown in at any opportunity someone has. You know who I pray to? Joe Pesci.
__________________
It's good to be norml.
dorn101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 07:02 PM   #39
Eric1285
FIA GT Newbie
 
Drives: '09 CW 2 Door GTI
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 809
Why can't the mods just do their jobs and ban people who get out of line? I still don't see why we can't discuss politics. If someone causes a ruckus and can't remain civilized, just ban them. They're likely to be the same idiots who ruin the other forums too.
Eric1285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 07:03 PM   #40
julito04
I plead the fif.
 
Drives: Scoobaru tyrannosaurus WRX.
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: STL
Posts: 11,585
Send a message via AIM to julito04 Send a message via Yahoo to julito04
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfJericho View Post
What's amazing is that I left my previous car forum solely because of all of the political garbage that consumed the site. I am quite happy with the way this forum is run. There are many things that were not allowed by my previous forum that are allowed here. Most of us are adults here so what's wrong with swearing and titties? Nothing... but both were banned on my previously frequented forum.

If you don't like the music, change the dial.
Exactly, Ive seen forums get over run and completely destroyed(Reputation wise) due to the fact of political discussions. Dont get me wrong, Im all for talking about politics in a adult manner, Its other people that you cannot count on to discuss the same way that ruin things. Thats what the mods are here for. I really enjoy the site the way it is and the reason behind the way it runs soo smoothly and kosher..Good Mods..
__________________
-_- AEM - Cobb - Rally Armor - Kartboy - SPT - BC Racing - Whiteline -_-

Quote:
If you say "jesus" backwards, it sounds like sausage.
julito04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 07:04 PM   #41
julito04
I plead the fif.
 
Drives: Scoobaru tyrannosaurus WRX.
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: STL
Posts: 11,585
Send a message via AIM to julito04 Send a message via Yahoo to julito04
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorn101 View Post
Can we add religion to that as well? I'm sick of hearing that debate thrown in at any opportunity someone has. You know who I pray to? Joe Pesci.
Amen to that lol.
__________________
-_- AEM - Cobb - Rally Armor - Kartboy - SPT - BC Racing - Whiteline -_-

Quote:
If you say "jesus" backwards, it sounds like sausage.
julito04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 07:05 PM   #42
julito04
I plead the fif.
 
Drives: Scoobaru tyrannosaurus WRX.
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: STL
Posts: 11,585
Send a message via AIM to julito04 Send a message via Yahoo to julito04
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric1285 View Post
Why can't the mods just do their jobs and ban people who get out of line? I still don't see why we can't discuss politics. If someone causes a ruckus and can't remain civilized, just ban them. They're likely to be the same idiots who ruin the other forums too.
Because of what Mr. Anthem40 said

Quote:
Less members = less sposnorship

EDIT: Wow, Three posts in a row. I cant believe I didnt multi quote.. Aaaaahh, Fuck it lol.
__________________
-_- AEM - Cobb - Rally Armor - Kartboy - SPT - BC Racing - Whiteline -_-

Quote:
If you say "jesus" backwards, it sounds like sausage.
julito04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 07:20 PM   #43
Anthem40
Day and Night
 
Anthem40's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 GTI
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Colorado
Posts: 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfJericho View Post

If you don't like the music, change the dial.
I couldn't agree more. If you don't want to be involved in political discussions, go on to the word games.
Anthem40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 07:33 PM   #44
Monkeykungfu
Formula 5000 Driver
 
Monkeykungfu's Avatar
 
Drives: '08 MT BMP GTI
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: New Orleans, LA
Posts: 1,514
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidity View Post
God forbid people have an argument over something that actually matters. The whole idea of having a ban, on any type of discussion that is not violating some sort of law, isn't very American.

You guys seem to have no problem keeping an extremely long leash on the versus forum, one that is dedicated to confessions of illegal activity, yet we can't talk about politics.....wtf is the world coming to.
I whole heartedly agree with you.

I do however understand that is must a pain in the ass to be a mod at times because of threads getting carried away. I'm sure politics can stir up some really nasty conversations. But at the same time, I see those in plenty of other threads that never get locked & that are full or foul mouth language, mud slinging... even when there's titties & ass all over the place, they don't get locked. BTW, ass/titties are mentioned in the forum rules..... unlike certain other topics we're not to discuss.

It's one thing to be talking trash about how your buddies S2000 can beat any stage 2 GTI (...or PETA for God's sake). But, it's another to want to discuss one of the most important, if not the most important events occuring presently in our country, politics or not, arguments or not. I understand that there are better forums for such discussions, but this is the Off-Topic thread for anything & everything right?

So... even though I think it's nonsense that we can't discuss politics, I'm going to respect the mods decision, because in the end, I have nothing to do with running this site & they do. It's kinda like going into someone's house & walking around with shoes when they ask you (or hope you'll just "know"... ) to not wear them in the house.

Although I don't agree with it & I wanted to speak my mind, but again, I'm not running the site, so do as you will.

Edit: To the people who say "I come here to discuss cars!" Well, WTF are you doing in the Off Topic thread?

Last edited by Monkeykungfu; 10-01-2008 at 10:46 AM.
Monkeykungfu is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:44 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.