GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What major problem is lurking in my future?...

hosic

Hey guys, my all stock 07 MT GTI (120k miles) has been drinking oil like crazy, like i just added my 3rd quart in 2700 miles. Ive grown to accept this but im wondering if what im dealing with now rings a bell to anyone.

With the burning oil in mind, with medium acceleration, the boost doesnt slowly kick in, it just kinds of kicks in, doesnt slam you in seat but just can feel the instant boost all of a sudden. Been doing that for awhile

Now whats been happening past week is once boost kicks in when in 2 or 3rd gear, the power kind of jerks/surges a little during accel through boost... again medium acceleration, not hot rodding it. Last night while driving and boost kicked in while in second gear, i had a second long LOUD grinding noise and i look in mirror and seen alot of smoke on the road in front of the headlights of the car behind me.

Anything come to mind?

fastwire

Ready to race!
check your cam follower. any CEL?

Slothy

Distrusts the trustworthy
Car(s)
2008 GTI
Is it burning oil or just consuming it? No stains on the ground where you park?

Have you been under it yet to check for dripping or runs in the engine compartment?

When you say the boost 'just sort of kicks in', does it kick in near the same RPM all the time, or does it vary a lot?

I had the valve cover replaced on my car last year. In the lead up it would misfire, but it would also misfire BAD sometimes, causing major powerloss and some real ugly noises. I thought my car was going to die a horrible death sometime between when it started and five seconds from then, but it didn't. Letting off the gas would end the problem, but it did start getting worse and more common.

If I recall correctly, leaking valve cover gasket, and lots of fouling on the spark plugs, which were connected but I'm not sure how.

Cryptic1911

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2008.5 GTI
blown turbo.. the thrust bearings are probably shot, and the oil is pissing right through, and that also lets the impeller shaft slide side to side, making the impeller hit the housing and grind.

You'll probably find that your downpipe, cat, and muffler are all going to be soaked in oil

that could happen from pcv blockage causing major blow-by. same with the bucking and smoke for that matter. I'd check valve cover gasket/evap passageway and pcv system.

n_mcnelly

Car(s)
Mkv GTI
sorry for starting this thread back up. The same thing was happening to me turned out to be the rings and if they are stuck for too long you may need new pistons.