GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

$400 for a 20k service? WTF mate?

GTI.Valet

what fresh hell is this?
Car(s)
So I overshot my 20k by about 500 miles and called Marten's VW in Maryland to schedule a service as I'd gone to them for my 3k, 10k and 15k services. I called again today to reschedule it earlier cuz of work and out of curiousity asked how much it was. The guy told me it would cost $420?! What the eff! I had him rattle off exactly what they'd be doing, saying it would take about 4, 5 hours.

I mean I understand it's a very extensive service and an important one too, but is that really what it costs? I feel like that's absurd. Is that what it costs at most VW service centers in the area or are they just trying to rip me off?

THE_SilverBullet

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2009 GTI
I take it you dont have the 3-yr/36K maintenance free program? I have an '09GTI that I bought about a month ago from Ourisman VW of Laurel and all of that service will be free for me.

I havent looked extensively at the required service for the GTI yet but would think the major things needed for 20K service would be the oil change/filter, air filter, check brakes/tires/belts/hoses. Im sure most of that $420 is for labor, and it probably takes them awhile to "check" everything opposed to actually replacing anything.

DUB2OT

Banned
yeah i was quoted $420 than i called around ended up paying $360 out the door at Springfield VW it took 2 hours to do the 20K service. all they do is change oil and couple of filters most of it is check ups that's all. you can lower the price by calling around.

GTI.Valet

what fresh hell is this?
Car(s)
naw i dont have the maintenance program...my cars an 07 fsi gti thatll be 2 years old in august, i hated vw for putting that program up a few months after i got my car. after searching, a lot of people said i could get it way down by doing some stuff myself and declining things like the "car wash" they do at the end and some other stoopid things

Rabbit GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
a GTI.
if you need to go to the dealer, you tell them to change the oil and rotate the tires. that's it. they give the car that inspection where they check belts, brake wear, etc. that covers everything. you'll walk out paying about 60 or 70 bucks if you can find the service coupons. oh, and just pick up the pollen filter at the parts dept. and put it in yourself, and you'll have everything on the 20k service done.

bascially, anyone that pays for those 400 buck serivces that don't require things like plugs, timing belts, etc...are just dumb, or like wasting money.