GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Ticking noise when cornering at low speed

vwengineer

Ready to race!
Hello!

I just discovered a new noise. When cornering at very low speed on the left, a noise can be heard on the right side, it's like a tick-tick-tick. Not a metallic noise, it's more like the noise that the AC (flaps I think) sometimes make. It's also not significantly louder with windows open.

- The CV boots are in good condition (at least they where 4 months ago) and the noise cannot be heard at higher speed so I don't think it's that

- The noise is not present when steering with engine running but car not moving (so I think it's not the steering rack?)

I concluded it was the top struts bearings but wouldn't this noise also be present when turning with the car not moving if it was the case? Another possibility would be a subframe screw, but I did not remove any and as far as I remember the noise is quite recent.

Thanks for comments/suggestions

Last edited:

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
When I had strut bearing issue it presented as you have described and only at parking lot speeds as you have described. If you search you will find discussions on the subject and others had same experience if I recall correctly.

vwengineer

Ready to race!
Yes I found other posts but most were speaking of either the steering rack or the bearing. I just don't know if it made sense than either of them made only noise when actually moving and not only by turning the wheel standing.

Thanks for your input, I guess I will replace the bearing and see how it goes then.

vwengineer

Ready to race!
When putting on my winter tires I discovered several things... Split tie rod ball joints both side (no play in steering yet), split upper drop link ball joint cover, split strut boot. Last but not least:

The left CV boot leaks a tiny bit as shown on the picture:

I don't think the CV joint is damaged with this small leak (there are no projections of grease anywhere around and it's only a spot, not all around) and I guess I would hear a noise at high speed if it was the case? Is it safe to drive like this a few months or should I get it fixed ASAP?

doc280

Ready to race!
The parts you mentioned are not to expensive, I would replace all of them at the same time and then get the GTI an alignment.

The axle looks OEM, so I would not put off replacing the split boot. You do not want dirt or water getting into it. Not a hard job, just messy as hell.

vwengineer

Ready to race!
Thanks for your input. Yeah I will probably replace them soon, the thing is that it would probably wise to replace everything before doing an alignment so I still have to check what else could be replaced for exemple, I don't know what to think of the control arm bushings, they began to split a bit but the car is just shy of 200k miles, at some point one cannot expect everything to be like new and it still handles very well. Did you replace them on yours?

Regarding the boot I am thinking about what's the best to do, I can buy used OEM axles with a boot in good condition for around 50-60$ shipped so that would save me the hassle of redoing this one but of course the boot of the used axle could split too at some point.

I saw on your post that you used and broke this cheap Chinese clamp pliers so I would definitely not buy this one. Which one did you get then?

doc280

Ready to race!
I only had to do the tie rod ends and ball joints, everything else was ok.

I got rid of the aftermarket axles, which were on my car, for used OEM axles. I still had to replace the outer boots, as they soon failed after install. (Cheap aftermarket axles are garbage, don't use them.)

As for as the tool, I bought it used. I do not see a manufacturer name on it, however it has "Made in the USA" stamped on it.

vwengineer

Ready to race!
I got rid of the aftermarket axles, which were on my car, for used OEM axles. I still had to replace the outer boots, as they soon failed after install. (Cheap aftermarket axles are garbage, don't use them.)
Yes, I remember that from your post. Thanks, I will see what I can find for those clamps.

707Stang

I'm Hella From Nor*Cal
These are the pliers I used for a few years while working at a VW dealer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk