GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Official College Football Smack-Talk Thread

Car(s)
MkV R32
Bulls broke my heart again

kirk180

Go Kart Champion
Well...I'm sure reality will set in here soon. Congrats to Penn State on the win. Over all though, I have to say I think both teams offenses looked pretty poor tonight. And I don't think it was because the defenses played that good.

In other news...lots of big wins out there today. Cant wait for the battle in Texas next week. Any predictions?:biggrin:

LBKEN41

Too close for missiles...
Car(s)
2007 UG GTI 2-door
Well not really a typical weekend since there weren't any major shake-ups. The championship picture becomes a little clearer.

If Texas wins out and Penn State wins out I think Texas will be a monumental favorite in Miami. I see Alambama losing in two weekends to LSU so they might be out of the title hunt then. If they don't though, it'll be interesting to see if they can win the SEC championship game with whoever they play which seems likely to be Florida or Georgia. That's going to be a great game this weekend. I pretty much think USC is on it's last hope. Unless two teams go down this next weekend and we start putting up points I don't think we should be there in Miami come January. We need to play with a swagger and we're not. Although Arizona is no joke, our offense can't go on a one-week high and then do nothing. We NEED to be consistent. Oklahoma looked dominate as well so don't count them out although they may be playing a pre-national title game against Texas in the Big 12 Championship game if things shape up the way they seem like they're going to. It's going to be a fun weekend...go Texas Tech and Georgia!

Doctor7474

Ready to race!
I'm torn on the issue of Penn St.

1st I'm glad to see Joepa doing good, and wish him the best.

However.... How many ranked teams has Penn St played (at the time of the game)? They will only play 2 ranked teams this year, Wisconsin and Ohio St, both of which are highly over rated this year, and I mean HIGHLY.

Whats going to piss me off is if say UGA goes on to win out, beats Bama in the SEC championship and doesn't go to the National Championship game on the sole reason Penn St has an easier schedule. UGA will have had to play LSU, Arizona St, Bama (poss twice because SEC championship), Fl, South Carolina, and Vandy all ranked at game time.

If UGA, TX, and Penn St all win out you will see a Penn St team go to the national championship game that has only beaten 2 quality *cough* opponents this year, vs UGA who would have beaten six, two of which would be top ten, and a #2 team. I love college football watch it all day every Saturday, I do not want to watch TX vs Penn St in a national championship game, it would be just like the last two... weaksauce overrated Big 10 team loosing horribly to a much better team.

I really watched 3 games last Saturday. The TX, UGA, and Penn St games, after watching the TX and UGA games then turning it over to Penn St was like watching a football game in slow motion, the difference in the teams are drastic.

gatorfast

man amongst boys

However.... How many ranked teams has Penn St played (at the time of the game)? They will only play 2 ranked teams this year, Wisconsin and Ohio St, both of which are highly over rated this year, and I mean HIGHLY.

Whats going to piss me off is if say UGA goes on to win out, beats Bama in the SEC championship and doesn't go to the National Championship game on the sole reason Penn St has an easier schedule. UGA will have had to play LSU, Arizona St, Bama (poss twice because SEC championship), Fl, South Carolina, and Vandy all ranked at game time.

If UGA, TX, and Penn St all win out you will see a Penn St team go to the national championship game that has only beaten 2 quality *cough* opponents this year, vs UGA who would have beaten six, two of which would be top ten, and a #2 team. I love college football watch it all day every Saturday, I do not want to watch TX vs Penn St in a national championship game, it would be just like the last two... weaksauce overrated Big 10 team loosing horribly to a much better team.

I really watched 3 games last Saturday. The TX, UGA, and Penn St games, after watching the TX and UGA games then turning it over to Penn St was like watching a football game in slow motion, the difference in the teams are drastic.

I completely agree. I think a 1 loss SEC champion should play for the BCS over an undefeated Penn St. team, especially given the outcome of the title game the past 2 seasons. Like I said a few posts above this one, quality wins should trump an easy schedule.

How mad would you be if Penn St. got blown out by Texas in the BCS championship game and a 1 loss SEC champion didnt even get a chance?

Anthem40

Day and Night
I completely agree. I think a 1 loss SEC champion should play for the BCS over an undefeated Penn St. team, especially given the outcome of the title game the past 2 seasons. Like I said a few posts above this one, quality wins should trump an easy schedule.

How mad would you be if Penn St. got blown out by Texas in the BCS championship game and a 1 loss SEC champion didnt even get a chance?

I hope, for sports fanatic's sake, we see B12 vs SEC.

LBKEN41

Too close for missiles...
Car(s)
2007 UG GTI 2-door

I completely agree that Penn State doesn't look as strong as any of the SEC teams, but with that said how many top teams in other conferences out there look like they could take on the top 5 SEC teams? Aisde from USC and the Big 12, I don't think any other conference "looks" like they could even step on the same field as an SEC. The Big 12 and the SEC are clearly the strongest conferences this year and the rest are battling for a distant third.

One great thing about college football though is that until a game is played anything could happen. Sure Penn State looks like a team that would lay an egg when matched up against a very good looking Texas team, but again I've referred to it before and I'll say it again...anyone remember Ohio State vs. Miami? On this side of the country you could even think of Tenn vs. FSU...FSU looked like they should have beat up the Vols. The opposite could happen too...what if Penn State beats up on Texas? Texas is so high octane that the "slow" football Penn State might be exactly what matches up with the Texas team. Look I know these conclusions don't mean much because so much can happen in the upcoming weeks. I just want to point out that it's not fair to Penn State that the teams on their schedule are weak (also see USC). Also don't forget that they do play Michigan State who just finally beat Michigan (their "big brother) and will probably continue to play well until the end of the season.

Oklahoma and Texas are both in the B12 South.

QFT...my mistake...Texas vs. Missouri then....again. That would likely leave Oklahoma out.

I hope, for sports fanatic's sake, we see B12 vs SEC.

I agree....or USC if the dominos fall for them. :biggrin:

CTtornado

Ready to race!
going undefeated in big 10 or pac-10 should count for something. granted if you do it in the big 12 or sec then its gonna count for more, exactly the reason the top 3 are what they are. OSU getting beat the past 2 years has everyone hating on PSU and the big 10. but its all good hopefully they'll do it for Jopa. and we'll have to wait it out.

Remus6

ViVa La Fuga!WLF
going undefeated in big 10 or pac-10 should count for something. granted if you do it in the big 12 or sec then its gonna count for more, exactly the reason the top 3 are what they are. OSU getting beat the past 2 years has everyone hating on PSU and the big 10. but its all good hopefully they'll do it for Jopa. and we'll have to wait it out.

Agreed. I think OSU has ruined the reputation of the Big 10 conference. I surely hope they let PSU play for the title if they run the table because I don't think Joe Pa's gonna be around for much longer. At least not as a head coach because he seems to be showing some physical discomforts. Poor guy, I really like him a lot as a coach. :thumbsup:

kirk180

Go Kart Champion

Exactly. Penn state is where they should be. People are being a little tough on the Big 10 all because of the Buckeyes big losses. It's still a tough division with a team that can pull of the win any given year. Just two years ago wasn't it Ohio State going to Texas (who were the NC and ranked #1 at the time) on week one of the season opener and taking it to Texas at home on their own lawn? Then Ohio State went on to beat 2 or 3 #1 ranked teams that year. Every team has it's years. It's just how it goes. And if any of you have been watching college football long enough, then you know that it's not always about the Big 12. Is it this year? Sure. But just a year ago you couldn't say that. I believe Ohio State is the most winning team in the last 10 years (USC the most winning in the last 5). That's a lot of conitnual year to year success that a lot of other teams dont have. Chances are a few of these teams that are doing great this year will all be going through their own adjustments in a year or two. Look at Michigan. It happens.

Anyway, point being: Football is football. The Big 10 and Pac 10 are still tough conferences. And if anyone has been watching for long enough, then the realize teams go through adjustments, just as well as conferences. It happens. I'll give props to the SEC. But I don't think that the Big 12 has the same year to year hype as the SEC.

CTtornado

Ready to race!
Agreed. I think OSU has ruined the reputation of the Big 10 conference. I surely hope they let PSU play for the title if they run the table because I don't think Joe Pa's gonna be around for much longer. At least not as a head coach because he seems to be showing some physical discomforts. Poor guy, I really like him a lot as a coach. :thumbsup:

my cousin goes to penn state and word on the streets this is joe pa's last year idk if its head coach or just for good. He is a god down there, the place goes nuts when he comes out on his little kart and hes always has the biggest smile he loves it.