GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Largest width tire with ZERO chance of rub

Renagade

I am the Evil Bastard!!
I just installed 18 x 8.5 wheels and fit them with 225/40/18 potenza re760
Unknowlingly 1" wider than the stock charelstons (18 x 7.5)

Needles to say, the tires are stretched a bit, and i HATE this look. Regardless of your personal tastes, what size tire would you recomend to get the rim edge/sidewall flush again?

Some research suggests a 255/35/18, but im afraid of any rubbing. I am at stock ride height at the moment. I just need to know the size that will get me as close as possible beofre rubbing can occur.

Many many thanks in advance.

Carfreak226

Detailer Extraordinaire
Car(s)
2007 GTI MKV
You're going to need camber plates up front if you want to run that kind of tire without rubbing. I have Enkei PF01's 17x8 et50 with Hankook RS3's 245/40/17 on -2.14 degrees of camber up front. Using the Ground Control camber plates. Never rubbed once in 10K miles on street, autocross, or canyon runs.

Carfreak226

Detailer Extraordinaire
Car(s)
2007 GTI MKV
Oh, and an 8.5 wheel may make things difficult for you as well if they aren't the right offset.

Renagade

I am the Evil Bastard!!
i pretty much know 255 is too wide. what im really after is does any one know if I would be safe with a 235 or a 245 width?
I obviously want to go as far as i can, without a rub issue. I guess I wrote the question badly... sorry for confusion.