GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

09 GTI trade in

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
Went to look at 13 Golf R. I knew they would lowball me but I never would have guessed how bad. 09 GTI with leather, xenon, tasteful mods, 115k... $2500. We haggle but the highest they would go was $5500. End rant.

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
Yeah, guess I'm holding onto this one. The R was nice but had a noisy/shaky aftermarket clutch. Wasn't meant to be.

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Yeah, that's pretty low. My '06 with 120k miles got me a trade-in offer of $4,500 about a year ago.

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
Even the new R can only get 23-24 mpg which is about 20% more gas than my GTI. I'm definitely going to keep it awhile and try to finish my upgrades.

LilRaverBoi

Optometrist Prime
Wow, that's like what I'd expect to pay for a sorta-clapped-out Mk4 (or pretty nice Mk3). NOT what I would expect to get for a last-year Mk5. Ridiculous!

golfballer78

Ready to race!
Car(s)
08' R32 dsg
dealers always low ball trade in bro, then they sorta recondition the thing and mark up used car retail on the lot and expect suckers to pay it. better off unloading on craigslist. I sold an 89' ford f250 3/4ton for 2500. I sold a 75 fj40 landcruiser that didnt even run for 3500. I sold my 96 mk3 gti vr6 (salvage even) for a little less then a grand with over 200k on it with 69k on the engine i put in. 2500 for 09' gti in decent condition is bullsh*t!

LilRaverBoi

Optometrist Prime
Good news is you can probably off-load it on Craigslist for twice that in about a day!

Epic_Sandwich

I Drive a Sedan
Of course they're going to $2500 so they can sell it on their lot for $10k after a quick wash by a lot tech, not terribly surprising but still sad. Resale values are going to start going downhill quicker now with the MK7 out and MK6's dropping in value as a result as well.

I plan on keeping my MKV GLI for a long time. Don't want to say forever but mine is nearly paid off and still running great (knock on wood) and hasn't really had any major issues.

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
Yeah all mk5, 6 and 7 are basically the same technology wise. Some are lemons, you keep the good ones. Was thinking I could do a TDI but I think diesel prices will shoot up again.

Epic_Sandwich

I Drive a Sedan
My wife rocks a TDI MK6 Golf which has been a great car. No problems to speak of and returns 42-48mpg in rown, 52-55 highway. If you drive like a hoonigan you'll still see 38mpg and diesel is still pretty cheap. Even if it shoots back up the 650 miles per tank makes up for it.

golfballer78

Ready to race!
Car(s)
08' R32 dsg
mk7's are nice, but dont go back into debt bro if you seriously cant see things working out financially for 6years or however long the loan process is, 2500 is not even enough down to make an R livable in my case, would need half down lol. i just helped my mom get a used b6 passat 3.6 vr6 4motion, low 100k, 11g's out the door. thing runs great. my 06' gli with 180k that i got for 8g's out the door I only owe 700bucks & i get a title then cheaper insurance, more money in my pocket and still 250+ horses of tuning. dont get me wrong, I like R's, but dont wish to pay a sh*tload for beaten R's. end rant

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
I agree. That particular R has seen better days. The TDI has my interest, but without AWD it's not really an upgrade. I think I'll splurge for LSD next year and finally install all my suspension parts. I owe $7800 on the car, I think I could get that on a good day.