GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

VW on this list

SuperSkyline89

Das Schiesse
Car(s)
2008 CW GTI
I think I'll keep that list handy and refer to it next time I'm buying a car, clearly none of these people want my money

Nitrorea

Ready to race!
I think these companies are more or less covering their backside. Like the article said, and it's true modern cars have HUGE computing abilities, some now are coming with built in hot spots not to mention the computing ability for the "driverless car."

It's in the rhelm of possibilities that such computing powers could be used for criminal deeds.

I don't really see aftermarket tuning shops being effected though, just the terrorist with a CPU hacking into someone's car potentially altering it's path.....

SuperSkyline89

Das Schiesse
Car(s)
2008 CW GTI
Beyond how much being sued will cost them automakers don't give a damn about our safety. if this wasn't such a litigious society we wouldn't be in this situation, the rest of the world manages to work just fine without constantly suing people for their own stupidity.

This is just a ploy to stop independent shops from working on their cars. I'll rip the ECU out of my car and get an aftermarket one before I let some pos company tell me how to use my property.

Goingnowherefast

Go Kart Champion
I guess it just makes our decisions on what brands not to get just that much easier. I get that cars are becoming more complicated, but it needs to be up to the customer whether to do the work themselves or at the dealership.

Nitrorea

Ready to race!
To play devils advocate here....the author of the article has a point. Unless you purchase the car outright it's technically not "our property." I'd say for a good portion of society most of the cars owned on the road are owned by the bank who fronted the money for the individual. I guess it would be in the lenders best interest not to have anyone poking and prodding around in the ECU's.

Now if you purchase the car outright or pay it off then it's free range I suppose.

SuperSkyline89

Das Schiesse
Car(s)
2008 CW GTI
Fair enough point that most people don't actually own their cars but that's a separate issue that should be between the bank and the customer.

The problem with what they're trying here is that independent shops are in danger of being cut out of the picture. I won't pretend I do my own maintenance, I can't be bothered, I have a mechanic I trust and have a very good relationship with. I take both my cars to his shop and no one else touches them. After the experiences I've had with dealerships there's literally nothing in this world that will get me to take my car into one for service. Given the choice between free service at a dealer and paid service with my mechanic, the dealer still loses.

The rational side of me says this won't pass but this is politics we're talking about so rational has nothing to do with it.

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
But if the government doesn't protect us from ourselves, who will?!?:lol:
:bellyroll: I laugh how the bloating of power the major corporations in this country receive from the US Government. In return, the Government is bloated and all we do is sit back and watch the immense and increasing size of them and left feeling helpless. One day....