GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New to manual driving...please help!

phil

becausephilchow
Car(s)
2009 VW R32
you'll be fine.

imo, just stay < 4K RPM, then even if you pull a wrong shift, like a 3 - 2 instead of the 3 - 4 you were supposed to, you won't over-rev your engine :wink:

That being said, I learned manual on my friend's prelude, it wasn't too hard, just start out slowly. If you can pick up stopping and going, then you're pretty much set, lol.

IMO, that's the only realy hard thing, going from a stop to first, and then reverse. if you can get those two down, going from like 1st to 2nd and so-on, is a joke :biggrin:

utekineir

Banned
clutches not beat can last a long goddamn time,

have a 94 toyota pickup in the driveway with 130k on its original clutch, also family has 2 mk1 diesel rabbits that were on original clutches with 200-300k when they turned into lawn ornaments.

Tempted2Speed

is cooler than you
Car(s)
2007 GTI CW 6MT
Yea thats the reason Im opting for manual...very long lasting and much simpler tranny than dsg

yg17

Ready to race!
I had NEVER driven a manual before I got my 2008 GTI. Like, not even in a parking lot, or anything. I never sat in the drivers seat of a manual transmission car before while it was running. I had already known the basics from reading it online and watching videos on YouTube, and the sales manager took me out to some empty roads behind the dealership and gave me a quick lesson on getting started in 1st and after that, I was fine. I still stalled a few times the first couple weeks while getting the hang of it. Unfortunately, the 2008 GTI was totaled at 17,000 miles but the clutch was still good as new.

09SemperGTI

Ready to race!
See, I did the same thing, OP. I bought an 05 Mustang GT having only ever driven stick about six times. But, those six times were every day leading up to the purchase. I strongly suggest something similar.

heathcliff57

Ready to race!
It's funny how driving a manual transmission can be such a complicated yet easy and simple task. I totally take it for granted. After reading all of these posts I can recall when I first learned how to drive a manual. It was my very first car; an 86 GTI. The guy who sold it to me also showed me how to drive it. I was scared and excited. It was such a unique feeling learning how to drive a stick. Those were the days...

Now it's just second nature. Get in the car and go. Don't even think about it.

09SemperGTI

Ready to race!
Yep. Heath is right. Nothing better than very first learning it. When I got in the GT, it was quite an experience learning where to shift and so forth. Burned out frequently, too.

iammrcandyman

Internet
Car(s)
'09 GTI
I don't know why you're so worried. I learned on my MKV. It took me about three days to get the hang of it now I'm trying to get good at it. Knowing how and good are two very different things... :[

heathcliff57

Ready to race!
So you guys would recommend getting manual over DSG? Are there any times you feel like you can have automatic?

Automatics seem so boring to me. Unless it has 500+ hp or somethinig, I just don't see the fun in it. Gas pedal and brake pedal is all you get. Oh and a couple of little paddle shifters. :lol:

I'd take a clutch and stick over an auto any day of the week. Who cares if the DSG is faster? Big deal. Doesn't mean it's more fun.