Votes: 4 44.4%
  • Nikon D3100

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other- Comment.

Votes: 5 55.6%

• Total voters

pavlo1994

Cruisin in my Emm-Kay-4
I went down to Unique Photo in NJ to check out the new d3100 and the salesman kept telling me the d3100 is better than the d90, sure in some things i agree. Since the d90 is being discontinued at the end of the year im not looking to get one.

Then i saw the Cnet video in which they said d5000 is still a better camera over the new d3100.

Which would you reccomend.
D3100-VS-D5000

Wont be doing alot of videos mainly shooting.

Starfox92

Ready to race!
Car(s)
CW GTI 6 speed
I personally prefer Canon anything but that's just me

obsidian6

Creative.
Car(s)
MkV GTI
Personally I think you should closely compare the specs of the cameras you're interested in and find the best one for the amount you can afford. The D5000 has been out for a little while now and the D3100 is brand new, personally I think the D7000 is the better camera, but I don't shoot Nikon so I can't say one way or the other.

Truthfully the more important factor isn't so much the camera body, It's spending your money on lenses. Camera bodies are practically disposable these days but lenses will last as long as you take care of them.

njfast07

Go Kart Champion
I'd say either D90 or D3100, in favor of the D90. The replacement to the D90 is the D7000 (I just picked one up last month and I love it) but I'd be fine with the D90 if it was the only option.

It'll save you some money, which you can put towards lenses. Go for the 35mm f1.8 and the 50mm f1.8!

TheeFT

That One Guy
Car(s)
Germans
I am a canon man, thru i not going to deny nikon makes a good cameras and lenses, i personally shoot canon, but both of my photography jobs i used there nikons, they are equally good brands in the own rights, the biggest thing that you will notice between canon and nikon are they way the pictures come off the camera. people say "nikon is artsy and canon is natural(how you actually see it)." after shooting both thats not necessarily true. its all in post processing in digital photography, the one thing that separates the two is the way they process the images on camera before you export them to computer. Canon images require less post-processing then nikon, they are better images straight off the camera. Nikon, even shooting in raw need post-processing more than canons do, but if your handy with photoshop to correct images this is an not a deciding factor.

Really is comes down to preference, what have you shot, what do you feel more comfortable with. its a big investment, and there's no need to rush, I like the way canon places their buttons on the camera, better ergonomics, and the user interface blows nikon out of the water IMO, on canon everything is just there. On a Nikon I feel like I have to search for something that should be right there in front me.

The one thing Nikon has always done that canon hasn't is lens compatibility, you can use a film lens on a modern nikon and it will still work, Canon lenses are more specialized which is good in its own way but lessens lens choices (without getting mount adapters).

Hopefully this helps lol

I would recommend a Nikon D7000 or a Canon EOS 60D, those are both equally good cameras and won't be outdated for quite some time.