GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Weird cut out

JackGTI508

Car(s)
Golf GTI
Hey everybody!!

I need help finding an issue that has been making me want to freakin get rid of my car!!! :mad:

I got a 08 FSI GTI with 147k, did downpipe, intake cam, cam follower, HPFP, intake, radiator and DV.

When I'm driving it randomly cuts out (car doesn't stall), at any gear or RPMs. It feels like it slams the brakes by itself and then comes back to normal. It can drive weeks without happening or do it 2 or 3 times within a mile.

The only difference I have noticed is that it happens more often in the summer than the winter, other than that I can't really find out why it happens. I have asked VW mechanics and they have never heard of such problem.

If anyone had experienced the same or similar please let me know.
I really love the car and I want to do more things with it but not until I find out WTF is going on.

Attachments

• DSC_9109.jpg
    DSC_9109.jpg
    525.5 KB · Views: 184
Last edited:

GTIAPRK04

Cam Follower Replacer
A sudden cut out while driving without a CEL (I assume there are no codes) would seem to almost have to be fuel related. My old MKIV used to have an issue exactly as you describe. I noticed that it only seemed to happen when the car was below 1/4 tank of gas. Have you noticed it to only happen when low on fuel, by any chance? Is your gas mileage good? Power ok? Idle ok?

I personally would suggest running the car very low on fuel and filling up on quality fuel, such as Shell 93. Beyond that I would think about replacing my fuel filter. Since we can probably rule out your HPFP, follower, and camshaft, other possible causes could be a bad injector or a bad fuel pump. I kind of doubt that, though, again with no codes and with a sudden complete and temporary power loss. Just sounds like bad gas.

JackGTI508

Car(s)
Golf GTI
The only code that I got was P2196 but it only happened after I installed the downpipe, it disappeared and never came back.

I bought the car with the issue so I didn't notice any power decrease plus technicians have driven it and they say its running good, but when they drove it, that cut didn't happen.
Idle is good too, right under 1k.

Gas mileage feels like it drinks a little more since I installed the downpipe.

5aprilc

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI
If you still have the stock downpipe, try putting that back on to see if your fuel cuts go away. I noticed that you didn't mention having a tune. I wonder if that's related since you have the bigger downpipe.

larcic

Ready to race!
this sounds like a fuel cut, i had this and it ended up being the low pressure fuel pump. could be something else for you though. did you really upgrade the hpfp w/o a tune?

larcic

Ready to race!
sounds like lpfp. op needs to have a fuel pressure test done. that is how my issue was determined.