GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

VW attacks! New model blitz aims to boost sales

kirk180

Go Kart Champion
That the title of the article on pg 20 of this Septembers Motor Trend magazine. It seems the add campaigns over here in the US are possibly out of an act of despiration. That would make sense for the VW emblem being all over your TV as of late. Anyways, read on. You might learn something. I'll now quote some of the article:

"It's no secret Volkswagen is preparing a modern, decidedly nonretro Scirocco sport coupe for the last part of the decade. But it's also working on a new version of its retro cutemobile, the New Beetle.

Volkswagen, which has slipped to sixth place among seven major-volume imports to the U.S. with about 244,000 units per year, is still Europe's biggest automaker, but it's facing General Motors-like labor-cost problems. It has to repair Ferdinand Piech's plans to compete with Mercedes, in light of a VW AG board's vote of confidence earlier this year for corporate chief Bernd Pischetsrieder.

VW division's stout Germanic craftsmanship and envy-inducing quality interiors have created cost problems-it's said to lose money on every golf it builds-on top of poor potential quality scores in the U.S. "'Were in the middle of a bad right now,'" says VW of America's sharp new chief, Adrian Hallmark. He and VW brand chairman Wolfgang Bernhard are hashing out the future of the automaker in North America in order to aim it toward the good. Here's what were likely to get:" [End Quote]

Then it goes on to name the 2008 Jetta Wagon, the 2008 Passat Four-Doo coupe, the 2008 Concept A production, 2008 Polo Sedan, and 2009 Scirocco. The 2009 Scirocco hasn't been approved for import yet but is to have a twincharged (turbo and supercharged) four, 1.4-liter making 170 horses. Then again it goes on to say that the 1.4 costs VW twice as much to make as the inline-5, so don't expect it in any entry level vehicles, and it won't get the same hp on the US's lower octane fuel.

Anyways, I just wanted to type out the article for anyone interested.

alf

Modwhoreator
Car(s)
2006 TR GTI
thanks kirk, that was a very interesting article.

i wouldve enver believed 6th out of 7 statistic, i see a jetta almost everywhere i turn. Also, did i read right? passat four door coupe?

a passat coupe i believe would be pimp and somewhat match up like bmw's 6-series.

alf

kirk180

Go Kart Champion
You read right. Here's what it had to say about the Passt four door coupe. "Expect a new name and distinct sheetmetal for this car, based on the Passat but designed to fit in VW's lineup between the Passat and the Touareg. Likely to be offered in the U.S. with V-6 engines (no fours) and possibly diesels, it's a poor man's Mercedes CLS."

MHS216

Anchors Aweigh
Car(s)
UG GTI 2006
Thanks for the info. Yeah, I think it's no secret to VW fans around here that the company is in trouble. Hopefully this is a good thing in a way...maybe it will force VW to produce more cars like the GTI that make people get excited about the brand.

Little dissapointing about the Scirocco. I knew there were loose rumours that the 'rocco might be getting fitted with a 3.2 V6. The 1.4 surely is a step down from the V6 and even the 2.0T. Oh well, we can always wait and see what happens.

alf

Modwhoreator
Car(s)
2006 TR GTI
kirk180 said:
You read right. Here's what it had to say about the Passt four door coupe. "Expect a new name and distinct sheetmetal for this car, based on the Passat but designed to fit in VW's lineup between the Passat and the Touareg. Likely to be offered in the U.S. with V-6 engines (no fours) and possibly diesels, it's a poor man's Mercedes CLS.
nice, i always called my aunts jetta a poormans BMW.

its like, the EOS is the coming from jetta to passat, now this.

sounds like VW is going to have quite a lineup, now if only they would drop the prices to compete with honda and nissan.

alf

MHS216

Anchors Aweigh
Car(s)
UG GTI 2006
Volkswagen also won the contract to provide the body for Porsche's new 4 door-coupe. I think it's called the Grand America or something faggish like that. Anyway, I'll be pumped to see whether the Passat coupe takes any ideas from the Porsche, similar to Touareg-Cayenne(sp)

MHS216

Anchors Aweigh
Car(s)
UG GTI 2006
alf said:
the twincharged engine isnt too bad, it did win engine of the year for 2006

http://www.autoblog.com/2006/05/10/volkswagen-twincharger-tsi-voted-best-new-engine-of-2006/

alf

I understand, it won "best new engine" and "best engine between 1 and 1.4 liters" narrowly edging a Toro engine and a John Deere engine. I wish they would do something ballsy and give it a 2 or 3 liter twin charge. Although, it's pretty obvious they don't really have extra piles of cash around to develop any new engines for a bit.

bennylenny88

bora bora dude
Car(s)
Golf mk5 GTTDI 2.0
no mention about the golf 6?

kirk180

Go Kart Champion
bennylenny88 said:
no mention about the golf 6?
It will probably be unchanged for the most part:iono: I'm not sure though. Not to mention, this is US imports, I don't know what you guys will be getting.