GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Unitronic intake has a hole in it!!

Boosty

Ready to race!
It happened yesterday after I got off the expressway.
While driving I heard a faint snap/crack sound.
Then when I got off my brake pedal started to vibrate, I pulled over , popped the hood and noticed the spot where the intake connects to the motor had completely disappeared. Now there's a nickle sized hole in it.

I had been having issues with it the past few weeks with that bolt coming loose , idk how or why this happened but it's been two days and no response from uni .
I would hope they could send me a replacement pipe and hardware but who knows.

Anyone got any ideas of a temporary fix?
The car is running ok, no maf issues yet. The only thing is the annoying brake vibration
I'll post pics in a moment

Boosty

Ready to race!

Boosty

Ready to race!
Plug it with steelStik

They got back to me , I can't find the receipt in my email so I hope they can still honor the warranty
Either way I may try that ..I don't know how im going to plug it though

Finder

Ready to race!
I can't believe I'm reading this here. This just happened to me as well.
For now I just patched the hole with duct tape. LOL

I will be contacting Unitronic and hopefully they will send a replacement.

Boosty

Ready to race!
I can't believe I'm reading this here. This just happened to me as well.
For now I just patched the hole with duct tape. LOL

I will be contacting Unitronic and hopefully they will send a replacement.

Glad to know I'm not the only one
Lol my cars been sitting the past few days while I wait to see if I get a replacement but I was also thinking the duct tape route as well

LilRaverBoi

Optometrist Prime
So do you think it vibrated to the left and hit that metal loop on the trans? That seems to me to be the most likely cause. Otherwise this seems very odd for something to fail like that. This pipe is not even under boost pressure.

On a further note.....how are your engine mounts?

Boosty

Ready to race!
So do you think it vibrated to the left and hit that metal loop on the trans? That seems to me to be the most likely cause. Otherwise this seems very odd for something to fail like that. This pipe is not even under boost pressure.

On a further note.....how are your engine mounts?

I'm at 100k I'm sure my engine mounts are ok but could be replaced by now.
I think the vibration over time ended up creating a shear effect, I found the piece that broke when I went to replace my fog light bulbs yesterday.
Btw what metal loop are you talking about? The black metal lines towards the firewall are whats causing the vibration

larcic

Ready to race!
I would think this is due to worn engine mounts causing extra engine play. specially if you are tuned. the engine will produce more torque and more movement. i did my mounts at 90k before tuning and they were pretty worn. i bought the car at 88k.

LilRaverBoi

Optometrist Prime
Looking at your second picture, the zoomed in one, directly in front of the hole is a metal portion of the transmission with a hole formed in it. The position and size of this directly matches the hole in the intake pipe. I feel this is not purely coincidence. My hypothesis is that your engine mounts are worn enough that under load, the engine shifts back, the intake mounts hold it in place and it flexes that pipe left toward that metal piece that sticks out of the trans. After hitting this numerous times, it eventually weakened the metal enough to punch a hole in it. I may be wrong in this assertion, but it seems to be a plausible scenario. I would definitely have your motor and trans mounts checked for wear to see if there is excessive play in them that would cause such a movement that would bring those two pieces in contact.....otherwise, this issue will just continue to happen.