GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

TSI 170 Issue

mrbeck

VW Golf MKV Enthusiast
Car(s)
Golf GT Sport
Okay, so I know its a poor man's GTI, but I have an '08 GT Sport with the TSI 170 engine which has I've had nothing but issues with since I've owned it. I absolutely love it when its running properly, but those occasions have become few and far between recently and my local dealer and independent seem are at a loss with how to fix it.

The problem...

When accelerating the turbocharger fails to engage at the Supercharger/Turbocharger switchover point (about 3200rpm). The boost gauge shows full boost from the supercharger until this point, then drops to about a quarter when the turbo kicks in and will not move. When the car is running properly you are barely aware of the changeover, and the boost gauge will continue to show full boost as long as my right foot is on the floor.

Attempted solutions...

My car has now been in the workshop 3 times while a main dealer and an independent have tried to diagnose what is wrong. The car is on its 2nd turbo already (had a new one fitted under warranty about 18months ago) and the N75 valve has been replaced too. There have been no fault codes logged on the ECU.

Recently, the engine began idling eratically and stalling randomly. This did log an error, and my dealer got excited as he thought the problem could now be fixed. I was convinced it was a separate problem and, after having a new engine speed sensor fitted, I was proved correct. The idling/stalling problem has been fixed, but the issue with the turbocharger remains. Annoyingly, it is intermittent (though increasingly frequent), and when I took a VW Master Technician out for a test drive the problem did not rear its ugly head. Sod's Law, it did on the drive home.

Your suggestions...

Before I take the car in for a fourth time, I am looking for any help/suggestions you may be able to give as to what to look for? Anything at all will be much appreciated!

Cheers!

PS - I should point out that I am not a boy racer who drives everywhere with my right foot glued to the floor, but when I do accelerate to overtake for example, the loss of boost can, and has, created some hairy situations.

mrbeck

VW Golf MKV Enthusiast
Car(s)
Golf GT Sport
So far haven't been able to identify the problem. Everything I've find seems to point to a fault with the N75 Valve, but every time its been to the garage the fault doesn't show and there is still nothing recorded on VAGCOM.

At the stage now where I might just fork out for a new valve myself and try and claim it back from VWUK.

Mike-B

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MK V Golf GT
Mate that sucks !

Sorry to be honest I have no idea but I'm watching this thread with interest.

Good luck.

Mike-B

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MK V Golf GT
Just thinking aloud really, but is it possible a connection, or clamp on the pressure side of the turbo is loose or broken ?

MK-FIVE

Banned
Car(s)
VOLKSWAGEN GTI 2006
Okay, so I know its a poor man's GTI, but I have an '08 GT Sport with the TSI 170 engine which has I've had nothing but issues with since I've owned it. I absolutely love it when its running properly, but those occasions have become few and far between recently and my local dealer and independent seem are at a loss with how to fix it.

The problem...

When accelerating the turbocharger fails to engage at the Supercharger/Turbocharger switchover point (about 3200rpm). The boost gauge shows full boost from the supercharger until this point, then drops to about a quarter when the turbo kicks in and will not move. When the car is running properly you are barely aware of the changeover, and the boost gauge will continue to show full boost as long as my right foot is on the floor.

Attempted solutions...

My car has now been in the workshop 3 times while a main dealer and an independent have tried to diagnose what is wrong. The car is on its 2nd turbo already (had a new one fitted under warranty about 18months ago) and the N75 valve has been replaced too. There have been no fault codes logged on the ECU.

Recently, the engine began idling eratically and stalling randomly. This did log an error, and my dealer got excited as he thought the problem could now be fixed. I was convinced it was a separate problem and, after having a new engine speed sensor fitted, I was proved correct. The idling/stalling problem has been fixed, but the issue with the turbocharger remains. Annoyingly, it is intermittent (though increasingly frequent), and when I took a VW Master Technician out for a test drive the problem did not rear its ugly head. Sod's Law, it did on the drive home.

Your suggestions...

Before I take the car in for a fourth time, I am looking for any help/suggestions you may be able to give as to what to look for? Anything at all will be much appreciated!

Cheers!

PS - I should point out that I am not a boy racer who drives everywhere with my right foot glued to the floor, but when I do accelerate to overtake for example, the loss of boost can, and has, created some hairy situations.

It's disappointing when the vw dealer doesn't even know how to fix the problem when they know more than anyone about the car.

mrbeck

VW Golf MKV Enthusiast
Car(s)
Golf GT Sport
It's disappointing when the vw dealer doesn't even know how to fix the problem when they know more than anyone about the car.

Change that to 'when they should know more than anyone about the car'!

I've been to my 3 local dealers, and each one has been unable to locate the fault now!

MK-FIVE

Banned
Car(s)
VOLKSWAGEN GTI 2006
Change that to 'when they should know more than anyone about the car'!

I've been to my 3 local dealers, and each one has been unable to locate the fault now!

I am really sorry to hear that man. Hopefully things work out in your favor. Sometimes it takes a while, but it will soon be figured out. :)