GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Tires too "tall"?

Bavl

Hello guys!
I have found a pair of nice 17" winter wheels, at a very good price.
They would fit my Mk5 GTI, as they are 5x112, however, they are equipped with 225/50 17 tires.

Now...I have the stock GTI 225/45/r17 wheels. And my question is...would the 5mm taller tires affect ride quality/ABS/turning angle/etc? or would they just make the car a bit taller, which I don't mind with the winter snow.

Thanks in advance

vegasGTI

Go Kart Champion
Should have no problems with that setup and the speedo would be off by a nominal amount. Yes of course it will effect ride etc, but a nominal amount. Most people would not notice the difference in ride going from one to the other.

707Stang

I'm Hella From Nor*Cal
I was running 225/50/17 on my GTI at first, tires were brand new off my trade in eclipse so I swapped them to my GTI when I bought it. I ran them till they were worn out. Only caveat is that they rubbed with 4 ppl in the car and going on bumps, but that was it.

LilRaverBoi

Optometrist Prime
And my question is...would the 5mm taller tires affect ride quality/ABS/turning angle/etc?
Car should ride a little softer with the taller sidewall. Car will be slightly taller and with slightly less tire to fender gap. Speedo will be off by a slight amount but none of this will be extremely notable.

And just for your information....it will not be 5 mm taller on the sidewall. That second 'profile' or 'sidewall aspect ratio' is a percentage, not a mm measurement. 50 means the tire sidewall will be 50% of the width measurement, which was 225 in your case....so 112.5 mm of sidewall. The other tire you are comparing to was also 225 width with 45% aspect ratio, so 101.25 mm. So it's actually a difference of 11.25 mm (and overall-diameter will therefore vary by 22.5 mm (about 7/8" increase from the 225/45 tire).