GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Time-Dependant Maintenance Items

Fyodor Dostoevsky

Ready to race!
I have a 2013 GTI. In the maintenance manual it lists some service items as time-dependant. Most of the items I can see how they could be time-dependant. For example I can see how fluids can deteriorate over time even if the vehicle is sitting in storage. But some of them I don't understand. For example:

Every 2 years:
- Dust and pollen filter: Replace
Why would a dust and pollen filter need to be replaced based on time? I would think this would be strictly distance related.

Every 6 years:
- Spark plugs: Replace
What makes spark plugs need to be replaced based on time? Does VW use a special kind of plug that deteriorates while sitting in a box??

GolNat

Autocross Champion
If the car sits outside it will collect dust, pollen and microorganisms.

Maybe it’s because Spark plugs can get stuck in the head or be difficult to remove if they are in for a long time.

Fyodor Dostoevsky

Ready to race!
If the car sits outside it will collect dust, pollen and microorganisms.

Maybe it’s because Spark plugs can get stuck in the head or be difficult to remove if they are in for a long time.

Hmmm, good points.

By distance, the dust and pollen filter is supposed to be replaced at 30k kms. I don't drive the car much so I didn't hit 30k until seven years after purchase. I had noticed that the a/c system gave off a stink prior to the filter being changed. So, you might be right that bacteria can grow in the filter over time and start stinking. I think this is something I can replace myself, so no big deal.

I suppose your point about the spark plugs could also be correct.

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
I try to replace the plugs every year.

supreme_gti

Go Kart Champion
I replace the spark plugs on my mk6 GTI every 20k KM or every 2 years. Whichever comes first.

supreme_gti

Go Kart Champion
I’ve heard turbocharged engines put a strain on spark plugs.