GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Sudden release of boost under acceleration

Mason_L

Car(s)
2006 GTI 6-speed
I have a 06 GTI with a 6speed manual. With the pedal to the floor the Blow off valve releases pressure at about 3000rpm in 3rd gear, 3500 in 4th, etc etc. If u keep the foot to the floor for a few seconds after pressure is released the car will once again accelerate and build boost. Any ideas what could be the cause ? I recently had the fuel pump replaced, so it shouldn’t be a fuel starvation issue. Please tell me of any ideas of what could be wrong !

BurgerGuy

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'07 K04 GTI
A few questions...
  • Do you have any tools to scan codes from the car? That could help point you in the right direction.
  • When changing the fuel pump, did you check and/or replace the cam follower?
  • Do you know if the diverter valve (closed loop blow off valve) has been checked or replaced since the car was new? Older variants were notorious for failing.
You could be looking at a boost leak somewhere that only pops up when the turbo makes peak pressure or generates a lot of pressure quickly. If not that, the computer could be seeing an issue which causes it to dump boost, then re-pressurize once things are safe.

Mason_L

Car(s)
2006 GTI 6-speed
Sorry for the delayed response.

-I do not have a code reader as of yet. I have been meaning to order one, just haven't quite had the extra money yet.

-The cam follower should be new, I didn’t replace the pump I had a shop do it as it was apart of state inspection.

-There is no documented history of the diverter valve being replaced. So I am assuming it is the original one.

I talked to a VW specialty shop near me and they said it MIGHT be a seized waste gate. Which would mean replacing the turbo entirely…

I appreciate any thoughts or ideas as to what could be the issue. Especially if it saves me from paying a shop to trouble shoot if I am unable to find the issue.

BurgerGuy

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'07 K04 GTI
Off the cuff, my mind goes to:
  • Diverter valve (DV) which is attached to bottom of the turbo.
  • Wastegate control valve (N75) which is located near the neck of the turbo inlet where the intake connects.
  • A possible fuel supply issue, but I would rule out the first two before diving into that. Would also check your invoice or ask the shop who did the fuel pump replacement if they also replaced the cam follower (06D109309C) as they are two separate parts.
It would be best to get any codes stored in the vehicle or inspect the DV before throwing parts at the car. The revision D DV (06H145710D) is considered the best. Pierburg makes them for VW so if you want to save a few dollars can buy that version instead of OEM.

Mason_L

Car(s)
2006 GTI 6-speed
update:

Replaced the cam follower today, it appears to have fixed the problem.

Before I did the replacement I was getting a P0089 engine code. But afterwards the check engine light was off and I was no longer getting the code. Car drives good now, no lost of boost under acceleration. The old cam follower was near failure. I’m glad I changed before doing any more driving with the vehicle.

I just have to hope that the problem stays fixed the cheek engine light stays off !!

Now I just need to get some new headlights and wipers LOL!

BurgerGuy

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'07 K04 GTI
Nice! Wipers are easy. Headlights not cheap!

If you're not tuned/modified I would recommend checking your cam follower every 25-30k miles. They will wear out and if you punch a hole in it, that means the HPFP is riding the cam lobe without protection from the follower. If that gets worn too much you could wind up having to replace the entire cam.

Mason_L

Car(s)
2006 GTI 6-speed
I’m planning on keeping it mostly stock (aside from some bolt-ons and updating interior parts) because of the high miles (132,000) so I will be sure to check it on that interval.

Thank you for all the help !

BurgerGuy

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'07 K04 GTI
I'm at 143k miles with a K04 that's been on the car for 30k miles. Only issue I have is clutch wear and cosmetic stuff. Have fun.

Mason_L

Car(s)
2006 GTI 6-speed
Thanks !

I’m running a P0089 fuel pressure regulator 1 code again, went off for a day or two but it’s back on now. And I have an airbag fault light as well. But I’m hoping those will both be easy fixes 🤞.