GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Snow in New-Mexico question?

BostonTexas

Passed Driver's Ed
We're going skiing near Santa Fe in February and wanted to know if I will really need snow tires for my R32 or are the roads pretty clear to go up there?
We're coming from Texas and use summer tires only there all year around.
Thanks for the input.

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
Summer tires are useless in the snow, ask me how I know. You need all-seasons at least, preferably M+S rated. If that is not an option, then yes get some snows.

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
Personally would not use chains on an R32...owner's manual will tell you if it's doable or not. There are some alternatives to chains, but honestly you will need something on all 4 wheels. Summer tires are like skis in the snow/ice, I had trouble moving on even the slightest grade.

BostonTexas

Passed Driver's Ed
I ordered the snow "socks" at ECS, for all four wheels. If it works as good as their video shows it, it should be fine.
I just don't want to invest in all-seasons or snow tires just for one week of snow.
I'll let you know how it went.

ikey3125

Ready to race!
I ordered the snow "socks" at ECS, for all four wheels. If it works as good as their video shows it, it should be fine.
I just don't want to invest in all-seasons or snow tires just for one week of snow.
I'll let you know how it went.

You can only run the socks under 35mph, just like chains, and there has to be snow on the ground.

Also, heard lots of DOTs don't count the socks as chains, so if you end up going up a road that requires chains, you're still SOL