GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Shift Linkage Question

larcic

Ready to race!
Hello, I think I'm having some sort of linkage issue. when I shift all the gears go in easily and smooth but sometimes I feel a weird bump through the shift knob, there no sound or anything and its not harsh. anyways I opened the hood and started looking at the linkages and I noticed that the cables move in and out of the linkage as I change gears. Is that normal? from the videos I saw the cables do not do this (they stay in place); but I wanted to get some input from here before moving on. the linkages are new so I'm wondering if they were installed properly.

Thanks

larcic

Ready to race!
adjusted shift linkage just know and it fixed my problem :)

Cgbm

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MKV
Awesome. Personal help struck again.

Go into my thread and help me. Hahah

larcic

Ready to race!
haha what is your post called/about? I really beat myself up doing this shift linkage adjustment since I didnt remove the intake and didnt have the right size pin for the lever. the linkage springs took a big chunk of skin out of my finger too. anyways I can do this adjustment in 5 minutes now, nothing hard about it just my first time doing anything like this. my arms are all scraped and bruised from reaching around the intake..

Brigand253

Ready to race!
Glad to hear the adjustment fixed your shifting issues. I'm getting notchy shifts going from 1>2 and occasionally 2>3.

One quick question, after putting the shifter / transmission in adjustment mode, do you release spring tension on the end linkage and pull the shift cable out like you are trying to remove it from the end linkage? Or do you push the cable into the linkage and then release?