GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Rokkor Rear Strut Lower Mount Bushing Issue

criminalGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
What up guys. I searched to try and see if someone has mentioned this before, but I was unsuccessful. Do I think someone has posted about this before? Of course. But can I find it? No.

I've had my Rokkor Coilovers for two years. They have seen two winters; last winter and this winter. Well last winter, the rear end was clunking and banging pretty aggressively over bumps and the ride was so stiff and hard (Yes, that's what she said). I was like what the heck. So I peeked under there and yep, on both sides the lower mount bushing had separated itself from the actual strut, allowing the strut to work its way off of the lower mount arm (because Volkwagen didn't put a bigger washer bolt head on its bolt for some reason) so it walks itself right off the arm leaving the bushing stuck on the arm. So I immediately called Rokkor and they immediately sent me two new ones. I asked them if they had heard of this before and they said yes they had heard of it but it was just a "bad batch" and no longer should have that issue.

I have had no issues until now with this crazy cold. It started banging and clanking and riding rough, so I looked under there, and yep, both sides are separated again. I got on the phone with Rokkor, and without any question they are sending me two more. So this is clearly cold related. Their cheap ass adhesive can't grip the bushing to the inside of the strut mount when its this cold.

I just wanted to let you guys all know that you aren't alone if this happened to you. I'm certainly not doing this every winter. And yeah yeah I know, "well you get what you paid for dipshiit". Yeah... got it... thanks.

I just wonder if anyone else had this issue with another brand besides Rokkor.

kruegernaut

I'm from Detroit, Man...
I cant seem to find the thread, and it might have been in the BMW forums, but, Dude had this exact problem and he sourced a decent size O.D. washer with the correct I.D. size hole for the shock mounting bolt, and put one on both sides of the shock bushing. I think he found them at a local hardware store. Solved his problem. It seems to me there would not be any danger in trying this as long as the washers were not too thick to take away to much thread on your mounting bolt, which torques to 133 ft lbs if I recall correctly.

criminalGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
Good call man. This is exactly what I was going to do. I thought about doing it last winter when I did them, but Rokkor "assured" me that it wouldn't happen again, so I figured what the hell. I definitely have to do this this year though.