GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Redline vs Liqui-Moly?

A41.8QTM

That's what she said
Car(s)
2008 GTI
Opinions on Redline vs Liqui-Moly? I've used Redline 5w40 for years and was just about to pick up 5 quarts from Amazon but Liqui-Moly is significantly cheaper. I only need to change my oil about 2x a year so it's not as if an extra $20 each time is a big deal but no sense paying more than necessary. MK5 Gti w/ K04 FWIW

DerekH

Ready to race!
I am very happy with Liqui-Moly, i have no way of compairing it to redline but i used to run Motul and i can say without a doubt the engine runs quieter and smoother in all temperatures with Liqui-Moly.

high_octane3541

Go Kart Champion
I just got some liqui Moly for the s3's first oil change. I hope it's as good as everybody says [emoji106]?

Last edited:

A41.8QTM

That's what she said
Car(s)
2008 GTI
I decided to give it a try. $37 for 5L of Liqui Moly vs $50 for 1gal (3.8L) of Redline makes it interesting. I have UOAs going back the past 50k miles so I have some good data for comparison.

beauy46

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2009 TR GTI
I decided to give it a try. $37 for 5L of Liqui Moly vs $50 for 1gal (3.8L) of Redline makes it interesting. I have UOAs going back the past 50k miles so I have some good data for comparison.

where did you find Liqui Moly for $37?

A41.8QTM

That's what she said
Car(s)
2008 GTI
Amazon - several sellers at $36 plus free shipping.

beauy46

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2009 TR GTI

A41.8QTM

That's what she said
Car(s)
2008 GTI
That's just silly. I paid $36 and it was on my door step within 36 hours. Local shop here offered me a special discount for being a member of a Euro FB group they "sponsor". It was still $43 + tax and I'd have to drive 20min each way to pick it up.

That's a good deal locally it ranges $50-60 with tax

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
I went from Castrol to Mobil 1 to Liqui-Moly...all 5w-40 and supposedly full synthetic.

This is what and where I get it. http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/C...ly-Synthetic-5W40-5l/_/R-AORLM2041_0329796689

Did I notice an unleashing of HP with any of them? Nope... :/

Ran Castrol up to about 98k miles and never noticed any excessive oil usage. Used Mobil 1 from 98k to 120k miles and had to rebuild the motor due to worn valve seals, valve stem guides, and replaced the piston rings due to some of them being stuck in the piston grooves. Since the rebuild I use Liqui-Moly.

Last edited:

Mostic

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
VW Scirocco
I contacted Liqui Moly themselves and the recommend Liqui Moly Leichtlauf High Tech 5W-40. They stated that this oil fulfills all requirements of VW and provides a stable lubricating film even under extreme conditions.
http://www.liqui-moly.de/liquimoly/produktdb.nsf/id/en_3863.html?OpenDocument&land=DE

In addition they recommend me their Liqui Moly Cera Tec.
http://www.liqui-moly.de/liquimoly/produktdb.nsf/id/en_3721.html?Opendocument&

By the combination of a chemical friction modifier and a ceramic solid lubricant prevents Cera Tec the direct metal-to-metal contact.
Thereby, the wear and the friction will be reduced.