GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Ran over a big rock

tj1393

Passed Driver's Ed
Hey all so I took a little night drive with a few friends and ran over a large rock. I'm lowered on coilovers. I got out to see if any tires were punctured or fluids leaking (it was raining) tires good and no noticeable leaks other than usual water drips in rain. Just in case I laid down to look with my flashlight in dark.

I turned the car on and no indicators or lights so I get out once more to listen and nothing. We keep driving and got to our destination and once I opened my door I smelled gas but I was still good on my gas level no noticeable leaks other than water drips and for the second time I run my finger thru it and no gas smell from fluid. Take the drive back home 45 minutes no changes to gas or fuel level park my car in the drive way and it wreaks of gas even inside the house within 5 minutes of parking. Still no smell from fluids (car is too low to see anything or get more than 1 arm under but not so low I bottom out constantly, I rarely do).

Sorry for the long post but I'm going to lift up my car and check it out some more. Any recommendations other than look for a hole? I know the gas tank is towards the rear I believe the fuel rail is on passenger side car in center about? Any other things I should check out while I'm down there? Thanks in advance for advise.

SuperSkyline89

Das Schiesse
Car(s)
2008 CW GTI
If you can't find anything yourself I'd take it to a mechanic and have them take a look. If you're smelling gas inside your house with the car parked outside it isn't the kind of thing to wait and see about. Next thing you know it catches fire and burns your house down.

tj1393

Passed Driver's Ed
Yeah I'm not planning to drive until I fix the problem and if I can't get it I'll be contacting my mechanic and get it towed from AAA. Not messing with fuel leaks or problems relating.

Also if I do find a fuel leak underneath the car should I pull the fuel pump and will that relieve pressure? I remember recommendations on disconnecting the battery as well before messing with fuel pump? Thanks all.

By the way, wasn't a case of bad driving. Was late at night on dark road just around dark and foggy blind corner. Slowed down at fog spots to see better but wasn't enough for this turn.

nkresho

suck, squish, bang, blow
Car(s)
2022 Q3
just don't open the driver's door if you can help it. That primes the lpfp.

If it kept driving with no major issues, it may be the return line. Either way, you should get a cel after a few minutes.

You could check out the fuel filter and trace the line as far as you can.

tj1393

Passed Driver's Ed
Good point I didn't think of that, thank you. So I lifted my car in the back and crawled under, looks like I punctured my gas tank on underside obviously not that bad as with the rain I see dripping on driveway under car there is gas swirls but according to my fuel gauge it hasn't moved much. It'll be too much work for me to do with car on jack stands.