GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

RabbitPlus - My 2009 United Gray MkV Rabbit 2dr S - SUPER POST...

RabbitPlus

Car(s)
2009 Rabbit 2dr S
RabbitPlus - My 2009 United Gray MkV Rabbit 2dr S - IT IS FINISHED

Hello VW World,

It is finally finished and I'm ready to post this for all you enthusiasts to see. My youthful dreams have at last been realized...

The second car I ever owned was an '84 Rabbit GTI that I wanted to customize back in the 90's but had no dough. Yet I never lost faith and through the years the desire for a sweetly customized VW never wavered. So at last, I give you...RabbitPlus....

My overall theme for the car was to upgrade it to a really loaded Rabbit/Golf option, if such a thing had been offered from the dealer. I liked the one-color approach of the R32 (also a design inspiration); hence the 10 spoke wheels. The body-color moulding and skirts sweeten the whip up nicely; and the Thunderbunny rear bumper makes it look longer. Really like the Eibach springs as well, nice subtle lowering and improved ride feel and cornering stability.

I didn't do much engine-wise. An intake and an exhaust are more than enough for me, this is a daily driver and I don't plan on ever taking it to a track. The intake and exhaust made a big difference in the fun-to-drive quotient and throttle response. Nice overall sound too.

Also spent a good amount on the interior, the leather upgrade has been one of the best mods I had done. I just wish they could have done the door cards, that t-shirt quality fabric from VW is not my favorite part of the car.

Hope the VW world likes it, please comment/hate/love anything. Just don't tell my wife how much I spent on it!

THE BASIC CAR:
- 2009 United Gray Volkswagen Rabbit S 2 door - purchased new March '09
- 5 speed manual trans
- 2.5 L 5 cylinder engine
- Came with power sunroof and 16" alloys as option

ENGINE/INTAKE MODS:
- Magnaflow cat-back exhaust
- Carbonio carbon air intake

WHEELS/TIRES/SUSPENSION:
- Elbrus 17" wheels: I05 Silver with machine ice coating
- Pirelli P-Zero Nero all season tires P225/45/17
- Eibach Pro-Kit Springs (1.25" lowering)
- VW logo stem caps

BODY/TRIM MODS:
- Thunderbunny rear bumper
- Body-colored GTI side moulding
- Body-colored front bumper moulding
- Votex side skirts
- Votex front lip spoiler
- Fog lights (3-bar kit from ECS)
- White side marker lights with amber lamps
- sunroof visor

INTERIOR MODS:
- Katzkin leather interior (graphite with ice stitching)
- JVC KW-XR610 audio head unit with Sirius XM radio
- Forge motorsport big knob shifter
- Wheelskins leather steering wheel cover
- Leather-trimmed emergency brake cover
- Aluminum ignition switch bezel
- Aluminum glove box handle
- MkV Aluminum pedals

Last edited:

RabbitPlus

Car(s)
2009 Rabbit 2dr S
re: door cards and interior

Hi, thanks for the kind words...I finally found a shop to replace the cloth seats and door cards with leather in MD (Auto Trim Design of Mid-Maryland in Frederick) and the price was $1650. I think it was a kind of one-off cut by Katzkin for the Rabbit, they have the templates and can make interior sets for any car.

They thought they could do the door cards but it is a serious job to replace door cards on these kinds of cars so they could not do it. They knocked $100 off the price, which was nice of them.

I kept the door card material that came with the kit. It's already cut but I haven't tried to get them done. There are some links to folks who have tried it and it's more than I want to take on. You have to cut the inserts out of the door panel by dremeling many hot-glued tabs, strip off the padding/fabric on the door card somehow, and then stretch the material over the card and make it stay tight and look nice, lastly you have to re-install the door card to the panel and hot glue/epoxy it to your broken tabs.

But there are lots of talented car people out there...does anybody in GolfMkV-land know about how I can get some dark grey leather or simulated leather interior door card panels? Also, I couldn't find anything on the web about doing the ones in the back seat. Please share any/all knowledge deemed appropriate.

Thanks!
RabbitPlus

Bake

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
very nice! clean and tasteful mods. well done.

RoxanneIsMyFAST

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2007 GTI
Very clean, but it would hurt to get and inch or so down.