GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Question about Paint Color difference

chinese_ys

Passed Driver's Ed
I sent my 09 Grey GTI to bodyshop as redirected by warranty manager from the dealership for corrosion perforation warranty. The guy in bodyshop asked me if I would like to pay $200 for color blending...

When I asked why, he explained: VW canada will send him the panel to replace the one on mine. His guy will use 2015 formula to make up the paint. It might be different than the 09 formula...So the color after paint might be different from rest of the car.

Does this make sense? Should I pay the the blending? How much difference really?

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
That's interesting. I just had my roof resprayed about 4-6 months ago or so and that never came up. They told me that they use a scanner and then mix the color based on the result, so fading was taken into account from the start.

flat tire

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Electric + 135i
Sounds like they're trying to get more money for a service that should be included.

SuperSkyline89

Das Schiesse
Car(s)
2008 CW GTI
Sounds like they're trying to get more money for a service that should be included.

This. Any paint shop worth going to should paint match before they spray. You mix paint based on what the rest of the car looks like, it's not an extra

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
I sent my 09 Grey GTI to bodyshop as redirected by warranty manager from the dealership for corrosion perforation warranty. The guy in bodyshop asked me if I would like to pay $200 for color blending...

When I asked why, he explained: VW canada will send him the panel to replace the one on mine. His guy will use 2015 formula to make up the paint. It might be different than the 09 formula...So the color after paint might be different from rest of the car.

Does this make sense? Should I pay the the blending? How much difference really?

Tell warranty manager that body shop is not going to paint match and you want to want the paint matched under warranty.