GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

P0601 error, TSBs and experience with dealership

MkV Dub

I <3 my turbo
Car(s)
09 911 C4S
06 GTI, APR stage 2+, FMIC, HPFP, and RSC exhaust not that that's out of the way. Not too many questions here just wanted to provide some info to others with my experience and to see who else has had this issue.

My car threw a CEL and EPC light. Scanned it with my Vag-Com and it had the P0601 Memory Check Sum error on ECM. Looks like this:
Part No SW: 1K0 907 115 B HW: 1K0 907 115 B
Component: 2.0l R4/4V TFSI 0020
001537 - Internal Control Module: Memory Check Sum Error
P0601 - 001 - Upper Limit Exceeded - MIL ON

I only have about 37K miles on it and it was running fine so I started reading up on it. Did some research on here and found the related RVUTB (TSBs) which was the OY update to ECU firmware update 30. I decided before I carried it to the dealership to get my tune wiped and the update done I'd call some of the local VW shops and see if they could do it and of course they could not. I then contacted APR to touch base with their experience with it and they provided me with the replacement to the OY update which is called the 24M2 update and verified I would have to have the dealership perform the ECM flash. It appears this update will move my ECU up to revision 40 per reading the TSB. I knew I would loose my tune but knew it wouldn't cost much to get an APR dealer to reflash it. Unfortunately the closest APR dealer to me in Nashville is about 3 1/2 to 4 hours away.

The fun started when I carried it to my local dealership and dropped it off. I provided them with the RVUTB / TSB printed off and an email from APR laying out this will fix it. They explained to me it would cost $100 to diagnose it and they would call me to explain how much the repairs would cost. They repetitively told me all they could do was diagnose it for me even though I provided them with the TSB on what to do. I then explained to them I was tuned / flashed and handed them the waiver attached to the TSB and the service rep responded with "I've never seen one of these before".

So they called this morning and told me all kinds of stuff. First told me they had to attempt to flash the "Long coding" and that would cost me $200. I explained I can change "Long coding" with vag-com at my house and that I'd just prefer the update from ECM software revision 20 to 40. He then told me they couldn't do that and I may need a new ECU. I then asked to talk with the VW technician.

The tech told me he was going to attempt to get my long coding to go back to stock but he couldn't push the ECM update because of the stored P0601 code in the ECU. This confused me because that was the whole reason of the OY update from 20 to 30 was to correct the stored code. He then told me he was going to start with the long coding and then contact VW on attempting to get the firmware update completed. The original service rep called me back to make sure I was fine with the $200 charge and I explained I though it would be a small shop fee but assumed the majority of the cost would be covered by VW due to the RVUTB / TSB. He somewhat explained it would not but I can't remember if he blamed the APR flash or what at that point as I was starting to see red. I just asked them to please try and get the update to revision 40 done today as they've had it since last week and I have to drive it to work tomorrow. They said they'd try.

So... All that was to see if anybody has had any experience like this with an ECU firmware update or a RBUTB performed outside of warranty. I'm assuming I'm outside of warranty since I'm an 06.

I'm guessing they're going to blame the APR flash when I finally do pick it up but I'm pretty sure it would have happen stock or tuned since VW created a TSB (OY) just to update and correct this issue. I've also read about it happening on bone stock vehicles in other forums. I'll update as to how things unfold simply in case others come across this issue.

UPDATE: Just picked my GTI up from the dealership and verified with my Vag-Com I am at firmware revison 40 on my ECU. Here's how the dealer broke it down. They charged me $220 to "Perform PCM long coding as needed" which they stated they couldn't not get the ECM to take the update without this...? They then performed the 24M2 update recall campaign under warranty. They also did the 28F3 replace ignition coils under warranty, and the 97U3 airbag connector, repair front seat airbag harness under warranty. I checked under hood to see if they did indeed replace the coils and I can't tell. They armor-alled around the engine so maybe they did. At least the stupid lights off for when I have to pass emission but I'm back to stock now. I bet the dealership is getting double paid from me and VW on the work they performed today but oh well....

Last edited:

A41.8QTM

That's what she said
Car(s)
2008 GTI
Pop a coil pack out and you'll see the model/rev imprinted on it.

MkV Dub

I <3 my turbo
Car(s)
09 911 C4S
Huh...
I feel like a noob. Didn't know they were that easy to pop out. Haven't done coils and plugs yet as I just hit 35K miles.
It's 06H 905 115 which is a newer pack from my searching. That and there was some fresh red lube/grease from where they swapped them out. I shall sleep just a lil bit better tonight :biggrin:

Update 3:
I threw a CEL today for P0420 Catalyst System Bank 1
I kinda expected it as I'm back on stock firmware and I'm running 3" down pipe / high flow cat / exhaust. Should clear when I get re flashed.

Maichson

Thank you for posting this. It was so helpful n saved me lots of hassle n money.

Had EPC n Engine management light on, took it to VW explained what I wanted done, software updated problem fixed.

Now I need to know if there's a solution to a jittery acceleration, not sure if it's the Gearbox or engine. No errors, just when taking of gently, car is not happy. Seems to like fast take offs only.