GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New to the VW World (DSG Questions) 2008 FSI

Duster90

Car(s)
08 Mk5 GTI w/FSI-DSG
I just purchased a 2008 MkV GTI with the FSI engine and DSG Trans. The vehicle has 93,000 miles. It seems to be fairly well taken care of but you never really know buying used.

After driving for a bit I want to ask a few questions.

While starting off is it normal for the trans to shift very quickly through the gears? It seems to go right into second then right into third before I even hit 20 MPH. It seems like it is shifting too fast and it is bogging down. It doesn't do this in manual selection mode (which makes sense).

The turbo only seems to kick in around 2200 RPMs? Is that right?

-Dustin

BurgerGuy

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'07 K04 GTI
Stock programming on the gearbox is designed for efficiency so while in D it will try to get to 6th quickly for better fuel economy. Since the vehicle is used, you may want to consider running basic settings/resetting clutch adaptation to reset learning of the gearbox. It adjusts shift points based on driver input over time. If the previous owner putted around town all the time and never drove spiritedly then the gearbox has learned to accelerate/shift that way.

Here's a guide on the procedure: http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/6-Speed_Direct_Shift_Gearbox_(DSG/02E)

As for turbo spool up, yea sounds about right. Does it feel down on power? What happens when you drive it in manual mode?

Duster90

Car(s)
08 Mk5 GTI w/FSI-DSG
Thank you I will check out the link. When in manual it spools a lot faster due to staying in gear longer causing higher RPMS. It's got quick response and power to spare.

Duster90

Car(s)
08 Mk5 GTI w/FSI-DSG
It seems like I need some sort of program for this coding? VCDS? I don't have a windows computer to be able to do this. How would I connect to the vehicle? Haha I hate being the new guy.

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
I am probably reconfirming all what will be said.

If not heavy on the throttle...the DSG will shift as soon as it can so that the drop in rpm will be near minimum rpm. Usually by/near 2k rpm when light throttle is applied. It depends on the load applied to it...it will stay in gear longer, into higher than 2k rpm, into the revs if driver input is asking more from it. DSG should be serviced each 40k miles...do you have access to its services?

Boost on these is designed to kick in very early. It is meant to feel torque'y and peppy in the early revs. You'll feel the lull in power when it hits 90 mph at full throttle. But it will feel like it hits full torque immediately when you press the pedal any time below 90 mph...so basically the first three gears.

Last edited:

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
There are many vids showing the use of VCDS/VAG-COM cable. It connects under the dash...driver's side nearer to the kick panel..but we all can help.

BurgerGuy

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'07 K04 GTI
There are many vids showing the use of VCDS/VAG-COM cable. It connects under the dash...driver's side nearer to the kick panel..but we all can help.

The other option would be to take it to a VW dealer and ask them to reset adaptation on the transmission for you. There is a test drive that needs to be completed once it's done, but they may offer to do that for you. If not or you'd prefer to do that yourself, it is clearly defined in the link I shared above.