GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

My pseudo test drive of the R32

graviton

Ready to race!
Today I went out and test drove a Volvo C-30 and an R32.

I really like the looks of the Volvo it really stands out. Although it seems it has the effect of people either loving it or hating it. It is just as zippy as the GTI and Audi A3 and has a ton more options. Go to the website and you'll see just how much personalization you can do with this car's colors and interior. I have heard people describe the center control panel as looking like a remote control. This is true but it does not pop out like some people believe.

My local VW dealer had 2 R32's. One was already spoken for, the other had the Nav unit. Both were blue (my favorite color). When I asked the dealer if I could test drive one, he told me that they don't allow it, because they want to minimize the mileage and abuse it would inevitably get. He did let me sit in it and drive it a couple times around the parking lot. The sound it makes is very interesting, and he also let me make a couple of sharp "high speed" turns just to see how it could handle. It worked like a dream. The car was listed at $35k and some change which I believe is too overpriced for a hardly souped up version of the GTI. Plus I really don't like the fact that it is a 2 door. Those back seats seem pointless. I think it would be cool to just rip out the back seats and have increase cargo room.

Lucidity

Marx
Well as much as I like the new C30, they are just too expensive. To get an equally equipped C30 to my GTI it would be around 35k msrp. Even with my discount (Ford Family) and possible mark down and negotiations it would still be at 30k. I got my GTI for 24500 ttt. It just doesn't seem to be worth the extra 5 grand.

StreetSpeed2000

Passed Driver's Ed
No offense, but they certainly do let people test drive the R32, but probably not people (read: people = under 21?) who roll up to test drive a $35000 car in a Chevy Prism.

Furrymonki

Passed Driver's Ed
I had no problem getting a test drive from my dealer. And they're selling every one they're getting in.

graviton

Ready to race!
No offense, but they certainly do let people test drive the R32, but probably not people (read: people = under 21?) who roll up to test drive a $35000 car in a Chevy Prism.

Well seeing as I'm 33 years old and can easily afford the VW R32 or a BMW 335i means that they lost a potential buyer. Some of the richest people I know drive Fords, Hondas, Toyotas and other cars well below their means. I also know people that earn a third of what I do and yet drive cars 2 to 3 times more expensive than I do. Don't judge someone by what they wear or drive.

Furrymonki

Passed Driver's Ed
Its a great car and I've owned 2 of them. They are essentially a Toyota Corolla in GM disguise. The most dependable car I've ever owned and they get great gas mileage. Never had a problem with either one of them.

So go to a different VW dealer. As with all car dealers, come can be jerks and others can be good.

Panman

Frequent Modder
Its a great car and I've owned 2 of them. They are essentially a Toyota Corolla in GM disguise. The most dependable car I've ever owned and they get great gas mileage. Never had a problem with either one of them.

Or.... Stick with your Prizm. The R32 obviously doesn't do it for you what with it's useless rear seats etc....

If you think it's a "hardly souped up GTI" you are missing the point.

VeeDubInZeeHouse

Das Uber
Car(s)
2006 VW GTI
I read up on the volvo C30.... motor trend said it could possibly have the worst 6 speed MT out of all the cars for sale in the United States

VeeDubInZeeHouse

Das Uber
Car(s)
2006 VW GTI
sorry to spam but motor trend also gave the new GTI's much better ratings than the c30. They put the C30, the GTI and the new turboed mini cooper to the test and the GTI out performed the minicooper and the C30 (October 2007 Issue I believe)