GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Muffler delete quiet?

vwengineer

Ready to race!
Are the GTI cats similar to others that are filled with the honeycomb-ish diffuser? My old S10 had one like that and it broke and started to rattle. So we just popped it off, went at the packing inside with a hammer and screwdriver until it was broken into small enough pieces to let it fall out the pipe.

Yes it's the same type

Nightmaarez

Passed Driver's Ed
Are the GTI cats similar to others that are filled with the honeycomb-ish diffuser? My old S10 had one like that and it broke and started to rattle. So we just popped it off, went at the packing inside with a hammer and screwdriver until it was broken into small enough pieces to let it fall out the pipe.

So do I just destroy the honeycomb and put it back together?

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
You're not likely going to find a shop willing to do this...but you can try. I live in a non-emission zone...so, no testing required, and the shops here even say they are not allowed by law to mess with any portion of an exhaust pre-cat. A shop may remove it for you and allow you to take the DP out of the shop and return it for reinstallment. Shop fees will likely be between 1 and 2 hours. I personally would wait until I had a single cat DP to install. You keep seeking ways to be louder at a near zero budget...you found out half the job getting there was already done with the straight pipe. Now you just need a DP with single catalyst to finish up. There are many on ebay made in other countries where labor is less costly. You'll just need to hope for solid welds...or if you do get one, inspect it and have extra welds added where needed before installing the new DP. Some only weld the outside of the pipe-to-turbo mount plate. Add weld to the inside as well. You can get catless DP's on ebay for $140 to $170.

Nightmaarez

Passed Driver's Ed
I personally would wait until I had a single cat DP to install. You keep seeking ways to be louder at a near zero budget...

Yeah after doing some thinking I probably will just get a new downpipe. I essentially spent the whole budget I had planned for mods on repairs, so it’ll just take me a little longer to get a dp than just doing a simple DIY or having a shop remove it (and I’m super impatient). I figured if I’m gonna have this car for awhile then there’s no need to rush things.

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
Yeah, since going to have the car for some time, might as well take the time doing exactly what you want when you can. I waited four years to do all of my mods. I did tune it and add springs during the first four years, but I planned and waited until I could do the hpfp, K04 and injectors, upgrade the tune to the K04, intercoolers, boost plumbing and intake, turbo-back exhaust, engine mounts, dsg tune, big brakes, and all of the stuff listed in my sig pretty much at the same time...a period of about six months of installing. I also made sure I would only select a mod that worked with the rest of it and where it was going.