GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MKV R32 headlight bulb problem - not your normal issue!

eek

Hi,

I know most people tend to have issues with the "bulb failure" indicator telling them a bulb has burnt out but unable to find the problem. Well, mine is the opposite. I have OEM HID's that come with the R32 and my headlight bulbs are stuffed.

I've purchased and fitted fresh new bulbs for both parkers and turn signal indicators. Also checked the two 40A fuses, in the engine bay and appears all turn signals, parkers, headlights etc run off two 40A fuses. They look okay.

Faulty:
LHS parker bulb
RHS turn signal

Both of these do not work, however don't throw a bulb error on my dash, even if the bulbs are in or removed, it makes no difference.

Working:
LHS turn signal
RHS parker

If I remove either of these, it throws a bulb warning.

Any idea how this is possible? I can only think of a wiring/connector contact issue, however if that's the case wouldn't it still throw an error? Can errors, or bulbs be disabled via VCDS accidentally? If I take it to a dealership for a code scan, will it reveal anything?

Going for my roadworthy inspection tomorrow and don't want them to fail me, wasting $70.

Muahaahaa

nip deep in pow
Sounds like the bulbs work if they only throw a code after you pull them. Maybe something to do with the wiring on your stalk? Have you tried seeing if your high beams still work? What about your hazards?

eek

The working bulbs throw a code if pulled out. Non-working bulbs don't throw a code at the moment. When I pull the bulbs out fo non-working ones, still doesn't throw a code.

Hazards and indicators have same result. LHD signal indicator still doesn't light up. Low and High beams all working fine, just parker and signal indicators.

I'm thinking could be a loose connection, short or ground issue, or bulb sockets? Surely if that happened it would be throwing a code already right? Can the CECM fail and produce such results?

qcbtbx

smu.:Rf
Car(s)
.:R32
do you have all stock bulbs? any LED bulbs? VCDS may be able to tell you something...not 100% sure what you would check in VCDS though. have you recently disabled or enabled DRLs on your .:R?

try taking some needle nose plyers and squeeze the contacts that bulb sits in for the park indicators together...could be a contact issue.

eek

do you have all stock bulbs? any LED bulbs? VCDS may be able to tell you something...not 100% sure what you would check in VCDS though. have you recently disabled or enabled DRLs on your .:R?

try taking some needle nose plyers and squeeze the contacts that bulb sits in for the park indicators together...could be a contact issue.

Hey they are all stock halogen ones, no LEDs.
Maybe VCDS scan may tell me if there is a ground issue or short etc..? Australian spec cars don't have DRL's or side markers on MKV models.

I'll try squeezing contacts. They seem pretty tight at the moment though. I would have thought if it was a contact issue it would show up a bulb error. If there was a ground or short issue it should still show up a bulb error right?

Since its not showing bulb errors, and without a vcds scan, I can only think of internal cecm fault.