GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MkV GTI - Is my clutch slipping?

mattbrandcars

Car(s)
Golf GTI TCR
Hey everyone, it's pretty well documented now that the Manual clutch in the MkV GTI is crap - but I really cannot tell if my clutch is slipping after my Stage 1 tune.

Essentially first and second feel slow, but there isn't the classic rapid increase in revs and then the clutch hooks up. Really just feels like its down on power, but not necessarily slipping. Third and fourth gear pulls feel strong though from 80 km/h.

Just had the car in for its major service, and fixed pretty much everything wrong with it (leaks, etc.)

Any ideas on what might be wrong?

Have also tried to do an objective test through 0-100km/h - which I've timed twice at 9.4 seconds using OBD2 readouts. That does not seem like a Stage 1 tune speed, especially on PS4 tyres!

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
With a burned clutch the motor revs but the car doesn't move as fast or as much.

There are so many reasons it could be down on power. The way to find out why it is down on power and diagnose it is to run logs and see what is happening,
Are you getting the fuel as requested, is timing being pulled, are you reaching requested boost etc. With logging you can see why you are down on power by looking for problems with fuel, ignition and air flow.