GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Lowered on coils - drive shaft rubbing on sway bar

F37150

orange crush
Car(s)
Fahrenheit GTI
Replaced my coils from FK to KW v2. I noticed that now when I turn full left, I get a rubbing sound - took it to a local shop to have a look and it seems like the drive shaft is rubbing the front sway bar on the passenger side.

I have about 1 finger gap all around, I know other KW v2 owners around me who are lowered about the same amount but don't have this sound.

Anyone else have encountered this issue before after lowering? Strange thing is the FKs didn't do this (althought it made other kind of sounds). lol

When I turn right, nothing rubs. Only when I turn 90-100% full left does the passenger side rub. I'm just a little perplexed why this is happening to me and not others with the same coil and similar setup. Although it's not a huge deal, I kind of want to resolve this (but not taking out the front sway bar).

Any help / suggestion is appreciated.

EDIT: Solved the issue: http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3733165&postcount=14

Attachments

• IMG00403-20110418-1037.jpg
    IMG00403-20110418-1037.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 6,995
  • IMG00406-20110418-1037.jpg
    IMG00406-20110418-1037.jpg
    156.8 KB · Views: 8,761
Last edited:

F37150

orange crush
Car(s)
Fahrenheit GTI
You need longer sway bar links. FK makes them and I'm sure of bunch of other companies do as well.

Actually, yeah, forgot to mention I'm pretty sure the links are the OEM ones. When I swapped out the FK, the OEM ones were put back in. When I had the car at the shop, these link looks to be about 330mm (OEM length). I'm 90% sure, but it's still something I need to check out.

There's one idea, but I'm not sure I want to - the current height is where I like it to be. Plus, the gap with the stock springs is even larger and this never happened. So theoretically with my car lowered, this shouldn't happen either since the sway bar goes under the drive shaft. Unless I'm not understanding something right...

F37150

orange crush
Car(s)
Fahrenheit GTI
Yeah, longer / adjustable links is one of the alternatives I'm considering - but from what my searches a lot of people say it didn't solve the problem.

I'm just a little perplexed as to why this is happening while other guys with KW v2 doesn't (that aren't as low as my setting). Maybe just due to manufacture tolerance or could be a bad install which I'll have to check when I have time.

Not a major issue, really, but just one of those things that bothers me as I don't have a solution for (yet). =p

UPDATE: I checked my links and they're the OEM full length ones, not the shortened FK links.

ILLMK5

chillin not illin
Not trying to thread jack but.
I kind of have the same problem as you. I just installed my FK Streetlines a week ago and ive been hearing some weird noises from the front suspension these last 3 days. The first day my tires were rubbing big time on the fenders but managed to fix it. (Did the screw mod, rolled fenders and pulled them a tad bit) Now im having some type of "rubbing" noises from the front. (Not tires, already checked) It mostly happens when I drive off from a driveway going straight. I thought it was my brakes but its not because no signs of metal hitting metal from the pads. I looked for signs to see if anything was rubbing against the frame or something and what I found is that it seems like the right passenger axle is rubbing with the frame because it has rubbing markings around it right under the frame but I still have like 2 inches of clearance. Dont know how it would rub and make noise with just going 5-10mph on a smooth surface:iono:
Or maybe the swaybar is rubbing somehow? I installed the FK endlinks the coils came with which are the shortend ones.

Are these anything like the noises you heard on your FK's??

F37150

orange crush
Car(s)
Fahrenheit GTI
The noises on my FKs were more like rattling noises when I go over bumps. I think they were caused by the endlinks as the shop forgot to install the cap things on the endlinks so they were sitting a little loose.

I had a clunk sound as well but never figured out what that was. It might've been the springs rotating / not settled in properly.

ILLMK5

chillin not illin
Im starting to think the noises are coming from the struts. It sounds like the struts are shot and dead but absorb the bumps just fine. No noises when driving on the freeway and feels really smooth. Its weird...
Should it sound like that because I took the helpers out?

GTIRaider

Go Kart Champion
Are those still the stock sway bars?

stepx88

Go Kart Champion
I have the same problem but im on racelands. I switched to fks endlinks and it was still rubbing on the sway bar. I never got back to fix the problem so i switched to oem endlinks but still rubs. Hopefully we find the answers

F37150

orange crush
Car(s)
Fahrenheit GTI
Are those still the stock sway bars?
Yup, stock sway bars. It shouldn't matter on our cars as our stock sway bars goes under the axle/shaft. Plus, this doesn't seem to be happening to others for other people that are lowered. So it's a curious oddity - for me anyway.

I have the same problem but im on racelands. I switched to fks endlinks and it was still rubbing on the sway bar. I never got back to fix the problem so i switched to oem endlinks but still rubs. Hopefully we find the answers

The shorter FK links will just make it worse as you're pulling up on the sway bar even more. The FK links are shorter because of the mounting position on their coils are lower then the OEM.

I contacted KW's support department and they've asked me to run some measurements on my car which I haven't had time for yet.

ILLMK5

chillin not illin
The suspension noises on my car are getting worse and worse everyday. I turned the wheels and tried to see if anything was rubbing and couldn't find any rubbing besides the axle which i believe only happens on hard bumps because the scratches are not deep. I took the car to a shop to get an oil change and when they got it on the rack i checked for any rubbing and nothing. Is it maybe the swaybar/bushings doing all the noises? If i took the swaybar and endlinks out would it mess with my alignment or even with my safety? One of my friends took it out and she said it drives fine..

F37150

orange crush
Car(s)
Fahrenheit GTI
Holy thread revival! But I hate searching for problems then never finding the solutions listed in the threads, or people just say their problems are solved but doesn't indicate the solution. <_<

So, just to update my oooooooooold thread, I finally decided to swap out my end links with adjustable ones to make the sway bar sit lower. This solved the rubbing problem I was having.

http://www.ecstuning.com/News/Volks...2007_2008_2009_2010_2011_2012_2013/ES2539081/