GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Little question about my wonderful new GTI's sound system.

zuus

Hey guys, recently had the immense pleasure of buying myself a black 2006 MK5 GTI and let me tell you, I absolutely love it. :D Owned a very crappy 2010 Barina beforehand, and decision came after driving a few of the TDI's work has as company cars - simply couldn't believe how nice a drive they were - that is until I jumped into this GTI. Absolutely blown away :bow:

Have had it for about two months now and every time I jump in to go anywhere it still puts a smile on my face. Never been this passionate about a car before...

Anyway, as fantastic as it is, my one and only qualm is the RCD500 unit in there - no mp3 support. Sounds great and all but was looking to replace it with something supporting more than audio CD's. Ended up buying an RCD501(?) with mp3 support from the forums here which I haven't tried yet. Even so I'm considering selling that, going all out and grabbing an RNS510 unit for ~$800-1000 off eBay. Question is (and I'm sorry if this has been asked before), will these RNS510 units simply plug in and work properly including the steering wheel controls or do I need to get aerial and wiring adaptors?

I did actually reluctantly purchase a JVC double din unit for around $250, but after eventually finding a compatible wiring kit (after ringing over 10 car audio retailers) it ended up being over $300 for the din/aerial/wiring adaptors all up so it ended up going back to the store. Not really willing to pay that much for something that will end up not only spoiling the streamlined dashboard but also leaving the handy steering wheel controls non-functional.

I am however willing to pay good money for any cabling for an RNS510 if necessary.

Any help/guidance would be much appreciated.

Thanks guys.

YouSnooze

You won't feel a thing ;)
Car(s)
2006 Mk V GTi
See http://www.my-gti.com/2564/upgradin...units-rcd-210-rcd-310-rns-310-rns-510-rcd-510 for info regarding this upgrade. You will need an aerial adapter & a CANBUS gateway as 2.0tdi said. You will also need a GPS antenna (cheap) & someone to code your unit so it works. Finally you'll need the latest Australian maps but they're easy to obtain from many kind forum members if you ask nicely :wink:.

** Most importantly **
If you buy an EBay RNS-510 make sure it's a European unit not a USA unit. The US version will not work here in Oz.

Booba

Ready to race!
Also check with the ebay seller as some offer the gps antenna together with rns.

i believe also that some people have had problems with rev c units and earlier cars. i don't know much on this topic but please do some research first and check www.vwnavi.com for valuable information.

See http://www.my-gti.com/2564/upgradin...units-rcd-210-rcd-310-rns-310-rns-510-rcd-510 for info regarding this upgrade. You will need an aerial adapter & a CANBUS gateway as 2.0tdi said. You will also need a GPS antenna (cheap) & someone to code your unit so it works. Finally you'll need the latest Australian maps but they're easy to obtain from many kind forum members if you ask nicely :wink:.

** Most importantly **
If you buy an EBay RNS-510 make sure it's a European unit not a USA unit. The US version will not work here in Oz.

gerard

** Most importantly **

What he said

zuus

Okay thanks a heap guys. This helps a lot. Yeah apparently they are the EU versions on eBay with EU maps so when I get it I'll source some AU maps.
Doesn't seem too complicated anyway.

Appreciate it.

thefullarchie

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI, BM, 3Dr, MT
You wil probably need to buy a new gateway (google skodatiele ?spelling, i picked one up from there for a bit over $100). Check the version number in your car to confirm this.
You'll also need the antenna adaptor cables (see my-GTI.com for details on these part numbers too.)

also, check vwgolf.net.au forums for a DIY guide on this upgrade with pics etc.. Quite helpful if you're doing it yourself.

Good luck!

zuus

Hey guys quick question - ended up buying the RNS510 Rev B unit off eBay, had the very helpful and friendly seller code it for me. Haven't received my new gateway yet, but I plugged the unit up simply wanting to test it - now to my surprise everything works no problems.

The unit shows the "Welcome to VW" screen when starting the car, all Nav functions, etc are working.
I've seen a few bits of info around the net that if it shows the "Welcome to VW" screen on a start, it switches off completely (ie. No battery drain) - is this correct?

Got some jumper leads just in case but might just be able to save myself the hassle of installing/coding a new gateway.

Cheers.