GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Just installed the K&N drop in

Wantagti

insufficient funds
Car(s)
Chevy Suburban Z71
Wow. I guess when it's the first VW you've worked on, it's pretty frickin crazy. The intake comes off much easier when you have another friend pull on the other side. There are like 6-8 screws on the underside of the intake that must be removed to open the "clamshell" to get the filter out. It took some finagling (sp?) to get the intake back on the metal posts. The maf tube is really fun to get back in btw. Hopefully there will be some kind of sotp driving difference. My factory filter didn't have a spec of dirt on it at 4300 miles.

AutoXinMK5

Touring Car Champion
Yeah, thats the only VW so far thats been like that though... It's because the freaking thing is built into the engine cover...

That MAF tube is the hardest shit ever... haha

The other cars up till now take about 5-10 mins to take the air boxes off...

LivEToDrivE

FIA World Rally Car Newbie
Car(s)
GTI
What things did you notice driving, performance, sound from installing the drop in filter? any problems on the side?

Wantagti

insufficient funds
Car(s)
Chevy Suburban Z71
Well, you can definitely hear a much better growling engine sound and the boost seems to come on quicker. I was easy on it driving home as I had the ac on and was in traffic. I never got a full throttle or even 3/4 throttle sound, but I'm sure it will sound much better. Can't wait to get the exhaust resonator off.

According to Fed Ex my filter will be delivered tomorrow... i don't know if my fiance will give it to me though since it's an anniversary present and our anniversary isn't until Tuesday. I think i can convince him to give it to me early though:rolleyes:

Wantagti

insufficient funds
Car(s)
Chevy Suburban Z71
Seems fine to me. I really don't beat on mine unless someone wants to play. I just got it back from having the resonator in front of the left rear wheel removed. Sounds very respectable. I don't know who says they drone. I was doing 60 and it didn't sound much different from stock. Maybe they were done wrong, he put a bend in mine and they're slip fitted and welded. Very cool sounding deep burble at idle.

ConnerrySER04

East Coast transplant
Car(s)
MKVGTI
Wantagti said:
Seems fine to me. I really don't beat on mine unless someone wants to play. I just got it back from having the resonator in front of the left rear wheel removed. Sounds very respectable. I don't know who says they drone. I was doing 60 and it didn't sound much different from stock. Maybe they were done wrong, he put a bend in mine and they're slip fitted and welded. Very cool sounding deep burble at idle.

I was wondering about any discernable increase in performance. It seems (from what I've read) that you should feel some noticable acceleration/throttle response...any insight on that, or is it overall just a better sound? If so, seems like this is a viable alternative to adding an intake.

Wantagti

insufficient funds
Car(s)
Chevy Suburban Z71
Didn't notice any difference in throttle response. I think being that it's drive by wire (unless I'm wrong)- it's somewhat hard to feel throttle response gains at times. I didn't beat on it since it's 99 degrees and I have the A/C on. I'll let you know when I do though. I can't see how it wouldn't help perfomance some.

Wantagti

insufficient funds
Car(s)
Chevy Suburban Z71
I'm almost ready to put the resonator back on. Something about quiet and refined appealing more to me as I get older. I can't feel any gain in power. Often times noise seems faster.

Attachments

• gtiexhaust.jpg
    gtiexhaust.jpg
    333.9 KB · Views: 520
Last edited:

tydale3

Rally Car Champion
THE FILTER LISTED ABOVE DOES NOT FIT THE MKV GTI 33-2888 is not the right filter .!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!I had to special order the damn thing and its not the right one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111 Looking for the right one if anybody has the real K+N number????????